Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

I want to upgrade my headlights next. What I want is to have the white/blue color of 6000K HIDs, but I would also like to have both headlights on during normal riding, and then have both headlights get brighter when I flip high beams on. I have looked at various products such as the one below that comes with two bulbs, but will it give me that dual headlight setting?

http://www.bkmoto.com/Motorcycle HID kits/Honda HID kits?product_id=78

If it will not, do you guys know of other products that you have used that will achieve this effect? I have looked at the tripage dual headlight mod but that appears to be only for stock headlights. I do not want to buy projectors partly due to the price, but mostly because I don't really like that eyeball look.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Very respectfully,
Nick

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Dan stop getting excited...he said he doesn't want projectors!! :crackup:

Ah yes, just saw that bit lol. I got a bit ahead of myself. Well, he should. They're awesome! Am I wrong?

OP, the tripage dual headlight mod doesn't currently work with HID but I think I remember reading that it's being worked on as we speak.

My main issue with this is that the stock reflectors in the light housing are different and scatter the light differently depending on which side is lit. See the pic and you'll notice the reflectors are pretty different.

Dipped and high beam bulbs are identical as stock and the thing that gives the increased light when using full beam is the differently designed reflector on the high beam side. If you have both lights on together then one side (your stock high beam side) will be producing a light pattern which will be higher than the other side (stock dipped beam side).

AFAIK the dual headlight mod uses reduced/adjustable power on the high beam side to reduce the dazzling effect on other road users.

My problem with this is that the pattern will still be scattered incorrectly for dipped beam due to the reflector design on one side. Certainly here in the UK the beam pattern/cut off level forms part of the annual road worthiness test (MOT) and my feeling is that this mod would result in a fail.

It's possible you could lower the aim on one side but I'm skeptical that there would be enough adjustment to make it work well.

My advice? Get projectors. If you want to read more on the dual headlight mod (non projector) there's a thread here http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=417633

Or here http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=405817

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
No... No you're not wrong mate, that's why I run projectors myself. Lol.
I know the problems with running dual headlights with stock reflectors (as you've posted about) that's why I never ran dual headlights until I retrofitted my projectors.

OP- if you want dual headlights and not run a projector setup, it is possible. Just read the link that kind Dan posted for you.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
On my 07 the reflectors arent different between the 2 sides, the "high beam" side requires the bulb be turned 90 degrees so that the filament is facing sideways instead of down as on the low beam side

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
On my 07 the reflectors arent different between the 2 sides, the "high beam" side requires the bulb be turned 90 degrees so that the filament is facing sideways instead of down as on the low beam side
Are you sure? Pics?

Here's mine ('08) out of the units so you can see them better. The differences are fairly obvious. I doubt yours are any different.

Dipped side

High beam side

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ya man theres lil notch on the actual bulb and on the high beam side it was in a different spot than the low beam. Low beam filament is faced downward high beam filament is faced outward

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Didnt really pay attention to be honest but i did notice the difference in the filament angles

I've updated my pics in the previous post to highlight the differences. Having them out of the housing makes it easier to see, but crucially feel the differences too. The angles are different as well as the shape.

I'm assuming you've done the dual headlight mod?How is your beam cut off line? Are both sides equal?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmmm, seems like maybe I should hold out until Tripage completes that dual HID package. In the meantime I could always get new rear sets :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts