Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today at school i came out to the bike after class and there was a yellow 748 parked right beside me. i came very close to getting a 748 over the 600rr initially, but chose the honda in the end. boy am i glad i did. the 748 looked like a pos beside my bike. when comparing the two i was not impressed with the ducati quality in the least bit. i haven't seena 749 in person, but the 748 definitely looked inferior to the honda. i have been in love with the 748/996/998 bikes for a long time, but seeing the 600rr beside one made me realize how nice our bikes actually are.

cheers to honda :beer:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I stopped for lunch one day at a pizza joint. The owner of the place told me he had a 748 and asked what I was riding. You should have seen how impressed this guy was with the 600rr. Said he was going to have to seriously think about selling the Duck for one.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'd choose a 600RR over a 748 any day. But keep in mind that the 748 was based on the old 916 platform which was introduced in the early 90s. So standards of material/build quality, fit and finish, etc., were not the same as they are today.

Now, check out the current generation 999/749, and you see a world of difference. I must admit, I thought these new Ducs were ugly when I first saw them in pictures (and I still do, in many ways), but they look a whole lot better in person.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My friend has a yellow 748 and the first thing I noticed was how small and narrow it was. Plus the rumbling sound of the V-twin was just awesome. I would consider a 748 if the price was right. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
the 748 is a real dog I ride with a guy that has one and there top end suck plus there heavier than our too i think there like 440 or something to i think a 600RR is just as fast as a 996 or 998 in the top end! The Italians just do not have the R&D that honda does!!!

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
From my experience with Italian vehicles (a Fiat I used to own) I'd never buy another, Every other weekend was spent tracking down one problem or another and it didn't even have 70K miles on it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
While I certainly wouldn't turn away a Monster S4 or a 749/999 if you gave it to me, I have to say, I think many diehard Duc owners use the phrase "visceral quality" in describing their bikes to compensate for the deficiencies when compared to Japanese bikes. :lol2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Italians just do not have the R&D that honda does!!!
Umm IIRC, Ducati set the top speed record last year at one of the circuits. A few kph above the Hondas.

I would love to have a Ducati 748... as a second bike. I still love the way they look even though the technology may be behind the times and performance is not on par with the current generation of 600s.

·
Registered
37 Posts
like it was said before, the 749 is a whole lot different in person as it is on a computer screen. It's a bad bike.... but I'd still take the rr

·
Registered
919 Posts
Umm IIRC, Ducati set the top speed record last year at one of the circuits. A few kph above the Hondas.
That was there MotoGP bike which is a 4 cylinder. So far none, 0, ZERO of the development of the MotoGP bike / technology has made it into the production bike. The next generation Duc may be of some interest. Also 1 very important thing that everyone here hasd missed is that the Duc's cost significantly more. And the biggest disadvantage is the valve train adjustment intervals, which is like every 6000 miles or so. And it is very difficult to adjust them, so you have to take it to a shop to get worked on which thay tak a min of 4-6 hours to do at least by what the maint schedule says. I dont remember the exact time it take for sure but it is bad.plus you have to like bring it in 3 time in the first 3000 miles. It you have lots oh $$$$$ thaen I guess its ok. I just like the fact I really dont have to worry o\about it until 16000 miles.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to have a 2001 Red 748S. Such an awesome looking bike. I wouldnt bother getting a 996 because performance wise, they are no better than our 600RRs. I think those are still the best looking bikes. I had my dads 03 Mille in my garage for a couple of months and that thing was a blast. It was like a totally different bike with the v-twin. For such a heavy bike it handle so awesome. It was a blast. If i ever have some extra money to blow I am getting a 748s..

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
don't forget the notorious chrome rocker flaking that can cost a pretty penny to fix.

·
Registered
919 Posts
don't forget the notorious chrome rocker flaking that can cost a pretty penny to fix.
Which I believe is still quite the scandal, I have heard guys that had the problem get the rocker arm replaced to have it happen again 2 more times and they made him pay for the repairs each time until Ducati finally admited to a problem from one of there suppliers. It tookslike 2 1/2 years to fix the problem. So the marol of the story is be vary weary of buying a used duc from I think it was 98 -2001.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There was a pretty good article on Ducati in a recent magazine, either Cycle World or Motorcyclist I think. Anybody remember?

Anyway, it went into the Ducati "philosophy" of building their bikes. Also talked about that since they are a small company, they obviously don't have the money for the frequent R&D of the bigger companies. Very interesting article.

I agree about the looks of the 999. Didn't like it on paper, but when I saw one in person, I liked it a LOT better. Not worth the $$ IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts