Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
No personal riding experience here, but expect the usual Ducati cost of maintenance & parts, plus a more aggressive riding position, making it less commuter-friendly i would imagine.

Nobody can say it isn't sexy, though

·
Registered
735 Posts
It's like anything else I would imagine, just stick to the maintenance and sh*t shouldn't break or explode.

I've heard that Ducati's are notorious for maintenance though...

I've always wanted an 848... So I'd tell you to go for it if you can afford it, just realize that's the upkeep is a little more expensive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually according to the dealer, maintenance is first service at 600 miles and then every 7000 miles after that. So maintenance isn't what it used to be for the Ducati's. & since I can do my own oil changes whats the harm right?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Go to a dealership to sit on it and you'll notice a dramatic difference. I've sat on them numerous times and the riding position is very different - the tank is narrower and you are more tucked.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did sit on it, and immediately i noticed a difference? My question is if anyone has experienced riding one over the course of a day? and what its comfort level is compared to a cbr. not immediate, just over the course of a days ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rode a friends 848 when we traded bikes for a day. Absolutely loved it, wish I had the money to afford one myself. I found it very comfortable to ride once I got used to the different riding position.

If they are still out there get the Nicky Haden L.E. 848. That is what my buddy got and it gets mad looks all day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ducati is not only a bike, ducati is philosophy/way of life.
you can not compare a ducati with a honda.
The ducati is like supercar and the Honda is like a fast car.
You can't buy a Ducati for daily riding. All ducati is excelent/exotic machines but needed a lot of care, like something fragile.
I ride my cbr for 3.000 km with only 2 lt of engine oil, if you do that with a ducati ...boom!!!
Ducati have excellent peripheral goodies like ohlins, magnesium rims, etc...
better i prefer the 1198s and if you want a realy fast bike for track or a bike just to look it on your garage, go get it, but if you want something more useful look for something else.
From the side o riding is a very good bike as i said, with excellent extras.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hayden is exactly what I am looking at, its just crazy you can get a 848 Dark for about 12,5 compared to 14,5 for the Hayden, Pretty much paying for bragging rights.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
OK, the first few things i read about the 848 is maintenance this and maintenance that. you guys should read more about the bike. with the newer technology these days ,ducati has made their bikes less of a maintenance problem as to previous years. plus they have a great warranty. the bike is bad ass, and knocks any honda out of the water. get it if you can. it will be my next bike. every thing that we want on our bikes, is already on a ducati. that's why there's such a price difference. some will say, oh its bottom line ohlins or brembo. that also is bullshyt. anything either one of those company makes is not bottom line. good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
ducati is not only a bike, ducati is philosophy/way of life.
you can not compare a ducati with a honda.
The ducati is like supercar and the Honda is like a fast car.
You can't buy a Ducati for daily riding. All ducati is excelent/exotic machines but needed a lot of care, like something fragile.
I ride my cbr for 3.000 km with only 2 lt of engine oil, if you do that with a ducati ...boom!!!
Ducati have excellent peripheral goodies like ohlins, magnesium rims, etc...
better i prefer the 1198s and if you want a realy fast bike for track or a bike just to look it on your garage, go get it, but if you want something more useful look for something else.
From the side o riding is a very good bike as i said, with excellent extras.
fragile, something to look at? your kidding me right.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I would say go for it but my uncle has a 08 1098s and it was in the shop the first season he had it due to clutch issues, electrical, and other nacking things. The bike has held up strong after that though. A thing to think about to is if you plan on doing any mods ducati urges that they approve and install them as it may void your warranty if you have one. Good luck on your purchase

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would not let maintenance concerns keep me from buying a Ducati. I believe they require valve adjustments a bit more often, but are otherwise pretty similar now to the Japaneses machines as far as other scheduled manintenance.

Riding position will be more aggressive. Some can adjust to this while others will be uncomfortable. Expect more weight on your wrists and upper body than you are accustomed to on your CBR.

The 848 engine charactaristics will be much different than what you are used to, but that is not a bad thing. It will make more thrust at lower rpm's.

I don't think the Ducati's can match the durability and reliability of Honda, but they are much improved. My VFR has 36,000 miles, runs like new and has never given me a moments trouble. Don't think that would be the case if I had ridden a Ducati in the same manner as I have my Honda.

Personally, I think the 2007 and up CBR 600 is one of the best street bikes ever made. Would not trade mine for an 848.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pretty much paying for bragging rights.
Sounds like you've discovered the "Italian Harley" idea.

My buddy collects Ducs, and after riding the 1098, I fell in love. I'm about 5'7" for reference, and I liked the seating position.

With that said, I will personally never own a Duc (any model) as my only bike; I will have a second bike not only for "back-up" but I feel the Duc is like a Sunday car, just take it out on the nice days. A good everyday commuter bike, a Ducati does not make.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, the first few things i read about the 848 is maintenance this and maintenance that. you guys should read more about the bike. with the newer technology these days ,ducati has made their bikes less of a maintenance problem as to previous years. plus they have a great warranty. the bike is bad ass, and knocks any honda out of the water. get it if you can. it will be my next bike. every thing that we want on our bikes, is already on a ducati. that's why there's such a price difference. some will say, oh its bottom line ohlins or brembo. that also is bullshyt. anything either one of those company makes is not bottom line. good luck with your search.
I agree anything Ohlins or Brembo comes forth with would be above par. thats what they built there name from.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say go for it but my uncle has a 08 1098s and it was in the shop the first season he had it due to clutch issues, electrical, and other nacking things. The bike has held up strong after that though. A thing to think about to is if you plan on doing any mods ducati urges that they approve and install them as it may void your warranty if you have one. Good luck on your purchase
I also had a friend with a 1098 when they first came out and he had a bunch of problems before the bike hit 300 miles, but Ducati North America fixed them all and as far as I know the bikes been running strong since. I feel like thats what happens the first year and then Ducati works out the quirks so buying an 10' model shouldnt give me any problems.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I don't ride everyday but I would say I ride hard in the summer time. So I don't expect the same comfort of a Honda. And I loved my 05 and wouldn't of sold it I didn't need to.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts