Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously playing with the idea of scooping up a 2011 Ducati 848EVO in Arctic White Silk, love the bike, absolutely beautiful with the white bodywork and red wheels/frame. I currently pay $50 per month for my 07 RR for minimum coverage plus $1000 ded. for theft. I priced the insurance on the Duc and it jumped to $409 per MONTH for the cheapest full coverage. WTF?!?! Has anyone else priced Ducati insurance? Is it really this bad everywhere? This is worse than my bike insurance at 21!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah I don't think my friends who have an 2010 848 pay anywhere near that in NJ or NY. So I priced out what an 2011 848 would be for me and it's freaking cheaper then what i'm paying for my '06 rr, wtf, I guess I picked the lowest with the coverage limits, but 489 for full coverage for 1 year is insane, when I'm paying a little over 600 for my rr.. hmmmmm... this is making me think...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ducati's are actually usually "cheaper" to insure than Honda CBR's. (at least what my insurance dealer told me) Mostly because of Rider demographics and people that own Ducati's usually have owned other bikes beforehand.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Ducati's are actually usually "cheaper" to insure than Honda CBR's. (at least what my insurance dealer told me) Mostly because of Rider demographics and people that own Ducati's usually have owned other bikes beforehand.
Has nothing to do with it, they go by CC's. Then they get to categorize some of them as sport bikes and it goes up. I've owned all CBR's and the 1098S over the last 7 years and the CBR's are always cheaper...less CC's.

Call State Farm, my full coverage with $250 deductible on the 1098S is just over $40 a month.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Call different companies. While cc often rule, I could have insured a Hon 919 or Monster 696 for less than my CBR600RR, but a CBR1000RR, 848, or Streetfighter were much more.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The 848 is cool and all but every time I hear what the engine sounds like at idle, I get turned off immediately. What an awful sound for such a nice bike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Call different companies. While cc often rule, I could have insured a Hon 919 or Monster 696 for less than my CBR600RR, but a CBR1000RR, 848, or Streetfighter were much more.
That's b/c the CBR is in the sport category; CC isn't the only consideration.

The type of bike matters.

And I sold my 09 pearl white 848 and bought an 07 600RR. I'll never buy a non jap bike again.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
The 848 is cool and all but every time I hear what the engine sounds like at idle, I get turned off immediately. What an awful sound for such a nice bike.
wouldnt really say its "awful" lol, diff that our CBR's yes, awesome color btw!

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
mine is an extra $400 a year, but my duc is an 08, and I am a middle aged professional :rocker: I get a lot of discounts through AAA and also have a $1K deductible, but for full coverage on my ducati, including uninsured motorist, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been itching to get an 848. Tempting. Admittedly, I've never ridden the 848. My co-worker rides his into work occasionally. I just don't know how long/short it'll be, before Ducati releases a newer model. Once a new Ducati comes out, lots of guys offload their previous models pretty quick, much like the BMW and Mercedes guys.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's b/c the CBR is in the sport category; CC isn't the only consideration.

The type of bike matters.

And I sold my 09 pearl white 848 and bought an 07 600RR. I'll never buy a non jap bike again.
Thats why I said cc often rule. Obviously they don't always rule. FZ1 was less to insure than my CBR600, as was the 919, more cc and more power but less damage when the go down. Alot of it is what type of experience have the insurance companies seen. More nitwits jumping on 600's because they think they can ride them even if they have no experience and tossing them down the road as they hit the first corner they come to, if those nitwits bought monster 696 those rates would go up.

Hey what didn't you like about the 848? Problems, ergonomics, odd european feel to it?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
the 848 is cool and all but every time i hear what the engine sounds like at idle, i get turned off immediately. What an awful sound for such a nice bike.
yes
i've been itching to get an 848. Tempting. Admittedly, i've never ridden the 848. My co-worker rides his into work occasionally. I just don't know how long/short it'll be, before ducati releases a newer model. Once a new ducati comes out, lots of guys offload their previous models pretty quick, much like the bmw and mercedes guys.
yes
i feel the same way!! :+1:
yes

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
yall haven't been hearin the right 848's / exhausts i hear mine and want to make love to it :rocker:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I almost picked up a 848 before I got my 07 RR, but knew I couldn't handle the costs of repairing it when I decided to take it to the track.

Good decision as far as I'm concerned. Only piece of "street" tarmac the RR ever sees is when I'm loading her into the truck in front of my house.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts