Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

The time has come for me to shop around for another lady. After spending some time on my buddies old Ducati M620, and SV650 I long for a bike with a little more grunt and personality. I also happen to love the sound of the L Twins. I can blame my Subaru for that. Love that Boxer engine.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the newer model M696 and M796's. More specifically can provide a compassion between our 600RR's vs those L Twins.

I am leaning towards the 796 as I would like a lateral move when it comes to power from my 600RR. The 696 sounds like it would be a drop in power, but would make a great city bike. The 796 is a great all around bike, and the 1100 is a track monster.

I hope to test ride a few myself in the upcoming months.

I wont be leaving the Honda family for good. I plan on picking up an 05/06 600RR as a dedicated track bike (when I move somewhere with a garage).

·
Registered
137 Posts
My sister has a '10 696. I've ridden it quite a few times so I'll tell you my experience. The bike has allot of torque, it's allot of fun in the city and doesn't really drop off too hard in the country. Only part I had trouble with was when we took off down long open roads....

The twin sounds amazing and and it is a great bike. Only downside I found is that it's made for shorter guys...the boys ride hard on the tank so it makes long rides difficult.

I think the 796 would be the better choice, for the reason you say: It's a lateral move while the 696 is a step back.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Xil,

What was the issue with long open roads? Maintaining speed or wind issues due to the lack of fairings? I am just outside the city, about 45 minutes from any decent roads.

I am 5'7 and in need of smaller sized bike / lower seat height.

When I sit on my buddies' VFR, 749, and Sprint St I feel like a kid. That is one of the reasons I am looking somehwere other than my RR. The frame size/height is perfect, however I am still a bit racked out when reaching for the handle bars. Instead of getting heli bars/other solution and "making it work" I'd rather go for a bike that is more neutrally positioned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Before I bought my 600rr I was looking for monsters on Craigslist. They're awesome looking bikes but definitely more pricey for new models (the ones that look good). But hey, it's a Ducati.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When my group hits an open road where we can see no cars for a couple miles we tend to play an aggressive form of leapfrog...the 696 just didn't have the grunt at the top end to keep up to the others. A minor thing really. Otherwise it's a great bike and for your size it should work well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts