Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I'm no Angel, I have lusted over the 749S in flat black of course, but since picking up the 600RR and talking with a few Ducati owners, I would really rather have my Honda other than a Ducati.

I have noticed that on some threads people will say they really want a Ducati. Eh I've lost my fascination with them. I was just wondering why others would want one? I have never ridden one, but here's what I have heard/seen...

1. Service? You're looking at around 500 bucks for the tires to even touch the shop floor.

2. This is town specific, but only one Ducati shop in Tulsa. Horrible horrible service department, you're looking at a month for just a regular keep the warrenty in tact service.

3. The market targets are more for the 500 dollar jeans, desginer starbucks locals other then actual riders. At the IMS in Dallas, when I walked into the Ducati "area" they were handing out cards, for a fashion show. what.

Ah, I dunno, they seem like really neat bikes but possibly a huge pain in the ass to actually own. I bet they probably get all the women though. But I'm married so that doesn't really matter either.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Silver72 said:
Now, I'm no Angel, I have lusted over the 749S in flat black of course, but since picking up the 600RR and talking with a few Ducati owners, I would really rather have my Honda other than a Ducati.

I have noticed that on some threads people will say they really want a Ducati. Eh I've lost my fascination with them. I was just wondering why others would want one? I have never ridden one, but here's what I have heard/seen...

1. Service? You're looking at around 500 bucks for the tires to even touch the shop floor.

2. This is town specific, but only one Ducati shop in Tulsa. Horrible horrible service department, you're looking at a month for just a regular keep the warrenty in tact service.

3. The market targets are more for the 500 dollar jeans, desginer starbucks locals other then actual riders. At the IMS in Dallas, when I walked into the Ducati "area" they were handing out cards, for a fashion show. what.

Ah, I dunno, they seem like really neat bikes but possibly a huge pain in the ass to actually own. I bet they probably get all the women though. But I'm married so that doesn't really matter either.
I know alot of Ducati owners. They love the style of the bike that's why most people buy them. They are a soild machine really I have not had any issues with my bike aside from a water resiver blowing up on me. I knew this was a common issue and I saw the cracks from around it but I rode another 1,500 miles before it going on me. I don't go to the dealer unless I need parts I find local techs that know these bikes. I was lucky enough to know someone that was a friend of mine that did all the service for me and showed me how to do it.(worked with a Ducati race team in Italy and is now a master tech for ferrari). And I have to admit all the jeans I own are over 100 bucks but that's because I'm my wife's dress up doll (and let's not go there)...

When I was buying the bike I must have went to the dealer 6 times. Really styling got me first. After ridding it I was in love with the way it felt and handled. Also it makes a wonderful sound, but I hate the way the dry clutch chatters. It's like this if you want one you get one. And most people I know that ride don't really have the skill to take any of these bike to the limit me included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,358 Posts
After riding a couple of them I can honestly say that they are a thrill. I like the R1 too though, and a lot of others.

*shrugs* I can't have all the bikes I want but I will buy something different next time, just to have that variety. Over the years I've owned a lot of bikes from almost every major builder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,616 Posts
I think part of the ducati crowd are the people that have the itch to ride something differant. Nothing quite like a vtwin sportbike, and something even more unique is riding a "clicker" like a ducati.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Most guys who complain that ducati's are not dependable don't own one. thats what i've noticed. I'll have to get a 749 one day or a monster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Both my old bevel head Ducs were reliable.....and a lot of FUN To Ride!
Nothing handles like them...a real dream!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
I just purchased my 748s and have ever since gone through a
"love/hate" relationship with it. I've been a Honda guy all my life, but after attending the local Ducati dealer open house last year, I was hooked. The "music" coming from the engine was what sold me on Ducati. It sounds so good, especially at 8K+ going through a tunnel! It's an awesome bike no doubt. It takes corners like it's on rails and is so solid. I have never rode a bike that performs as well as a Ducati before. What I don't like about it is that it is not as reliable as the Japanese bikes. I've been going through some electrical charging issues with it (faulty connectors). The maintance is kind of spendy too. Every 6000 mile Desmo valve adjustments, new timing belts every 2 years or 12,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
I've had a 748 and a 996 and they were both great to ride, but just alittle expensive for a broke college student like me to keep.
 

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
I love my Duc... Best handling bike (with stock suspension, anyway..) I've ever ridden... oodles of character.. and the maintenance cost isn't much more than that of a Jap bike... Ride one... if you don't like it, get something you like.. Can't very well dog something you've never ridden though ;-) As for the cost.. Well, I didn't buy a $5000 dingy to go wakeboarding off of, I bought a Malibu.. When I want a bike to corner with, I don't buy an old Dynaglide, I get a 600RR or a Duc ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
If I could, I would :) I love ducatis..I heard all the horror stories about maintance and whatnot one can hear (I'm not sure how much of them are true)..If I were to own one I'd do all the maintenance myself (I'm just hoping that the desmodronic valves are too much for me :)...The sound is addicting and it feels like a race bike...I mean the riding position, the trellis frame..It really is something else to be in the cockpit of a ducati..Plus you get all the nice bits that should come with that price tag; the brembo brakes, ohlins suspension or at least quality showa..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
larry said:
I just purchased my 748s and have ever since gone through a
"love/hate" relationship with it. I've been a Honda guy all my life, but after attending the local Ducati dealer open house last year, I was hooked. The "music" coming from the engine was what sold me on Ducati. It sounds so good, especially at 8K+ going through a tunnel! It's an awesome bike no doubt. It takes corners like it's on rails and is so solid. I have never rode a bike that performs as well as a Ducati before. What I don't like about it is that it is not as reliable as the Japanese bikes. I've been going through some electrical charging issues with it (faulty connectors). The maintance is kind of spendy too. Every 6000 mile Desmo valve adjustments, new timing belts every 2 years or 12,000 miles.
I don't do my belts every two years. I wait 12K miles for that. It's really pointless to spend the cash IMHO. If I were to track the bike I would but when I ride I hardly ever hit redline unless I'm playing around. Valves are really no big deal to do unless you need closers done, from all that I have read and seen it's more time consuming to do it on a 600rr the on the Desmo. Heck I can have Ducati apart faster then just taking of the lower and front fairings on the 600rr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
juni5 said:
If I could, I would :) I love ducatis..I heard all the horror stories about maintance and whatnot one can hear (I'm not sure how much of them are true)..If I were to own one I'd do all the maintenance myself (I'm just hoping that the desmodronic valves are too much for me :)...The sound is addicting and it feels like a race bike...I mean the riding position, the trellis frame..It really is something else to be in the cockpit of a ducati..Plus you get all the nice bits that should come with that price tag; the brembo brakes, ohlins suspension or at least quality showa..
Parts are the biggest issue with ducati I wait at least 4 weeks for little oem things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
xxumattuxx said:
i might be the only person to say this but F ducati
nope, I agree.. Maybe if they were more resonably priced for what you get.... maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
hessogood said:
I've ridden the 748, 749, monster, 996 and the 999. The 996 was my dream bike growing up. I can honistly say I wouldn't not keep one if it was given to me for free. Absolute junk to ride and work on.
I don't buy it that you have ridden any of those.
 

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
+1... Anyone who thinks a 996 rides like junk hasn't taken one for a lap around a race track.. lol... The bitchin regarding price of entry to Ducatiland is understandable.. Whining about maintenance issues on the valves of the older models I'll buy... Riding like junk? Not so much brotha ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Ducati 1098=SEX

I love that bike.................

Kinda like asking............Why want a Ferrari with all the maintenance?
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top