Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by dean adams
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Honda's Miguel DuHamel was transported to the hospital after a very gnarly turn 12 crash about twenty minutes ago at the Road Atlanta test. His condition is unknown.

Turn 12 is the very fast right-hander going down the hill and leading onto the front straight.

More news as it comes in.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Update on that site says he is concious and in good spirits, doesnt appear to be any broken bones etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Update on that site says he is concious and in good spirits, doesnt appear to be any broken bones etc.

Read again
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/07080817u.htm

After his CT scans and x-rays came back and were examined by medical professionals it was learned that Miguel DuHamel has suffered a lacerated liver, a perforated lung and a bruised lung in his Road Atlanta crash today.
Clearly the lacerated liver is the most troubling of the three injuries although neither of them are to be taken lightly. A lacerated liver can be fatal if untreated. Also, this injury can take an extended amount of time to fully heal. Moreover, in many cases doctors will not allow someone with this condition to do any activity where further trauma is possible.
Persons at the scene of the crash said that DuHamel experienced some sort of trouble near the top of the turn 12 hill and soon after the bike went completely sideways and impacted the turn 12 wall, which had tires, straw bales and airfence in front of it.
DuHamel's Honda CBR1000RR was destroyed in the crash.
Thermometers were cranking all the way to 106 degrees at the track today.
More updates when info breaks

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. That's sad to hear. Such a nice guy. I bet this is the end of his career. I can't see coming back next season at his age and after all this gets taken care of.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think Miguel could come back from this injury but at the same time it might be a good time to call it quits. On the other hand they'll have the new 1000RR next season...

In the meantime I hope Neil Hodgson subs for Miguel on the factory bike. I'd love to see what he could do at VIR =)

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Read again
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/07080817u.htm

After his CT scans and x-rays came back and were examined by medical professionals it was learned that Miguel DuHamel has suffered a lacerated liver, a perforated lung and a bruised lung in his Road Atlanta crash today.
Clearly the lacerated liver is the most troubling of the three injuries although neither of them are to be taken lightly. A lacerated liver can be fatal if untreated. Also, this injury can take an extended amount of time to fully heal. Moreover, in many cases doctors will not allow someone with this condition to do any activity where further trauma is possible.
Persons at the scene of the crash said that DuHamel experienced some sort of trouble near the top of the turn 12 hill and soon after the bike went completely sideways and impacted the turn 12 wall, which had tires, straw bales and airfence in front of it.
DuHamel's Honda CBR1000RR was destroyed in the crash.
Thermometers were cranking all the way to 106 degrees at the track today.
More updates when info breaks
Although I am a fan of his , Miguel is up there in age, he's pushing 40 and I think this might make him call it quits...I really don't think he has anything to prove and these injuries are not minor.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That update was a bit worse than the earlier one!

Ahhh, he's a french Canadian, he'll probably be back for the next race!

·
Registered
135 Posts
this guy is a racer first. he is too stuborn to quit. guarantee he will be back. he could possibly quit just after, but like most racers, they will quit on their terms not because of a situation or conditions outside of their reach

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mladin and Spies both ripped RA for not removing the wall on the outside of that T12. Mladin called it "the most dangerous corner in American road racing." And I'm sure anyone who's ridden it will agree. That corner is scary as hell.

http://roadracingworld.com/ - Look under August 9.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mladin and Spies both ripped RA for not removing the wall on the outside of that T12. Mladin called it "the most dangerous corner in American road racing." And I'm sure anyone who's ridden it will agree. That corner is scary as hell.

Yeah really, T12 is even a dangerous turn for cars. The thing about turns like that is that nobody wants to do anything about them until somebody gets hurt. To me it is a no-brainer that T12 is dangerous and needs to get moved back.

Of course that would be a very expensive modification as they'd have to tear up the pits and the control tower to move that wall back. But at the end of the day they need to do it before some gets killed. I'd hate to see AMA not race there anymore.

K

·
0 Posts

Here's the excerpt:

Spies Angry Over Duhamel’s Crash Into Wall At Road Atlanta

Aug 09, 2007

Reigning AMA Superbike Champion Ben Spies is mad.

He is mad that Road Atlanta, a track he loves, has done very little in the 11 years he has been racing there to improve the safety of its last corner, Turn 12. And he's mad that as a result his friend and competitor Miguel Duhamel is in the hospital with serious internal injuries after crashing in that corner and hitting hay bales and a tire wall at high speed during testing Wednesday.

“I don’t want to blast the track too bad, but I’m not too happy,” Spies told Roadracingworld.com Thursday. “Miguel fell. He’s a pretty good friend. And it’s just ridiculous. He’s pretty bad off, not horrible, but for the crash he had it could’ve been a whole lot worse.

“It was just a matter of time. That corner was gonna get somebody. Even one of the best riders out there, it got him. I’m sure he wasn’t putting it on the line, but for whatever reason, Miguel fell down.

“I’m not happy. I’m really bummed out that he’s hurt. I’m just bummed out that the track won’t fix it. I think they need to move that last wall and another wall or all the riders need to come together and say we’re not going to race there [in 2008]. It’s one of my favorite tracks, and I’ve been going there forever, but it’s just when you’re going 125-130 mph through the last corner and you’ve got a wall 20 feet off the racetrack it’s not safe. It doesn’t need to be like that. Miguel, right now, doesn’t need to be in the hospital.

“It just boils down to, it shouldn’t be like that. We shouldn’t have to be going through a corner that fast thinking, ‘Oh, man. If I fall I’m going to be messed up.’

“Some walls you can get to. It’s like, ‘That’s a little too close.’ Sometimes you throw the Airfence up to band-aid it. But that corner is just ridiculously close. It doesn’t even matter about Airfence. If you lowside right there it’s gonna do one of three things: it’s gonna peel up the Airfence and you’re gonna go into the wall, or you’re going to follow your bike into the Airfence and hit metal, or you’re going to get into the Airfence and the bike’s going to chase you into it.

“I know I’m going on and on about it, but it just needs to be moved and something needs to happen soon.”

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
that is a NASTY and VERY FAST downhill corner with hardly any run off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts