Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters: I am mechanically challenged... All the work I have done with my bike has been supervised...

However... Ever since purchase of my bike the R side (accelorator side) has been just not right. The bar end turns, and has a 2-3mm gap between the bar end and grip end.

So I decided to try to fix it, but it won't screw in further. So I thought maybe I was doing something wrong and went to the other side, unscrewed that one to look at it and make sure things looked the same - which they did. Screwed the other side (L - clutch side) back on, and now it won't go all the way on! What am I doing wrong here? *these are stock*

It screws in, but then the entire thing just turns, including the inner part. There is a section that is grooved to lock in or something, and after turning it, it is very apparent the entire thing is spinning. I just don't get it :tard:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yea, i hate bar- ends. my stock bar-end fell off on the track, then i bought some chrome ones and they fell off. then i bought some blue ones and they fell off. i no longer use bar-ends. i already have frame sliders and spools- that's enough for me. i don't notice any increase in vibration from taking the bar-ends off either which is what i was worried about.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
It's ok if they rotate when you twist it by hand (shouldn't just spin freely) however if there is a gap unscrew it a bit and use a rubber mallet to tap it back further. It's like a wall anchor basically.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are they OEM? If not get new ones specifically for your year and make.

You even have to push and tighten the OEM's to get them flush, but be sure you hold onto other side so you don't tip it over.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If I am not mistaken most bar end assemblies have rubber grommets in them that expand when compressed. This is to hold them in place inside the clip-on. The reason for the rubber is that the weight and bar end are suspended inside of the clip-on to counteract vibration of the clip-ons.

Most likely if you loosen up the bar end and tap it in as suggested earlier, then tighten it back up this will fix the issue at hand. I know others gave this same advice but I figured I would explain the way the bar ends work so that maybe that would help you assess the issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I am not mistaken most bar end assemblies have rubber grommets in them that expand when compressed. This is to hold them in place inside the clip-on. The reason for the rubber is that the weight and bar end are suspended inside of the clip-on to counteract vibration of the clip-ons.

Most likely if you loosen up the bar end and tap it in as suggested earlier, then tighten it back up this will fix the issue at hand. I know others gave this same advice but I figured I would explain the way the bar ends work so that maybe that would help you assess the issue.
:iamwithst

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! :five: I will go home and beat it, and let you know the outcome...:icon_lol:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I know on the 05 the ends of the barend are notched, and sits into the notch on the inside of the clip-ons. If the 2 notches dont line up that will cause a gap and wont let you tighten the barend all the way. Then to tighten it down, you have to hold the barend steady while you tighten the screw that holds it in place...at least that is how mine is.

I found out about the notch when one of my barends fell off.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i have been having the same problem. both stock and recently lost a shogun bar end. i put locktite on the screw and put that mofo in tite, no problems since! its kinda stupid to have bar ends screw in, when you twist the throttle in a direction that loosens the screw! they should make em snap in snap out.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay... I see the notchs, lined em up, held it steady and screwed... no luck! Then I loosened it a smidge and smashed it with a hammer... no luck! I then decided to call it quits again. Frustration levels are building. How hard am I suppose to be hitting it? I have 30 guys comin to the house on Sat night, so one of them may be willing to hit it for me...

This is getting annoying...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Okay... I see the notchs, lined em up, held it steady and screwed... no luck! Then I loosened it a smidge and smashed it with a hammer... no luck! I then decided to call it quits again. Frustration levels are building. How hard am I suppose to be hitting it? I have 30 guys comin to the house on Sat night, so one of them may be willing to hit it for me...

This is getting annoying...
just get aftermarket clipons and stop worrying about the junk stock ones then u wont have to worry about ur bar ends.. problem solved :wave:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just get aftermarket clipons and stop worrying about the junk stock ones then u wont have to worry about ur bar ends.. problem solved :wave:
You're so smart :):five:

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
That will work but bar ends are there for a reason. They are weighted to reduce vibrations. Aftermarket clip-ons are usually for race/track application where people could care less about vibration.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That will work but bar ends are there for a reason. They are weighted to reduce vibrations. Aftermarket clip-ons are usually for race/track application where people could care less about vibration.
Vibration can be cool :p

No I am going to seee if one of the guys can fix it tomorrow night at my partay!
Before we bust into da fridge:

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
I figured you'd want it on the seat and not the clip ons. Though any boy toy of yours might get a kick out of a shaky hand after a long ride. lol

Damn, I'm missing a good party...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts