Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys can help me with an ongoing problem i'm having with my 03.

While riding, usually 3rd gear and up, the bike dies at 7k-9k rpms. It requires me to start it again. Rides fine under those rpms generally.

I put it up on stands (and i know this is terrible for it...) but i ran it in third at 7k rpms and it sounds like it's missing or something. you can hear the exhaust gurgling. It doesn't die though so i assume the gurgling engine trips a sensor and kills it under load.

What I've Done:
-New Battery
-New Voltage Regulator

Possibilities:
-clogged fuel pump
-clogged oil pump or line
-bad TPS?
-problem with the second set of injectors

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Kyler

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sounds like another fuel pump problem... this seems to be happening alot to 03-06 CBR's lately.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FI light only comes on while it's on the road and it dies. But it did not come on when i had it up on the stands.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel Lines are not pinched

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
sounds like a loose connection to the battery. Or a loose ground wire. If it was a bad fuel pump... the bike wouldn't die... it just wouldn't rev any higher.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Never had a bike in limp mode before so i don't exactly know how it acts, but is that a
possibility? Just a thought.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
limp mode?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all connections are tight on the battery as well

·
Registered
599 Posts
Limp mode, yeah. It's my understanding that when certain things go wrong/fail on the
bike the computer can recognize it and it will limit the bikes capabilities as to keep it
from tearing itself up. Hang on, i'm gunna do some quick research because i really am
just kinda blowing smoke right now, i don't really know anything about it other than it
will limit your rpm's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks... 10 char

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hmm... well i've yet to find any good information on the limp mode. Basically what i'm
getting is that your bike goes into limp mode any time your FI light is on. Your idle will be
rougher and the bike will run relatively poorly. As for cutting off the RPM's i couldn't find
a definit number. Sounds like your problem lies in something else, but what do i know.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not that it runs poor. it just dies after i try to accelerate, runs fine underneath 7k rpms.

i'm having the damndest time solving this problem. won't seem to go away.

from what i read, actual limp mode would make it hard to go anywhere at all. it would just run like ****. period. then again i'm no expert.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, i'm with you on that. The no expert part. Might as well keep checkin your electrical
connections until someone who knows what goin on pipes in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 to dcope, if all that is fine I'd be looking at the fuel filter and secondary injectors next - ohm out the injectors and see if one is way out of range - the secondarys are't all the way on till 5800-7k RPM (assuming the bike doesn't pull fine past 7k in first for example)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'll check these

1 - 20 of 21 Posts