Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How many of you wear ear protection while riding?

• Yes. What brand/type...

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • No.

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
With an AGV helmet I don't think I need one but probably I need to. I have a hands free walkitalky with my bro on my left ear usually. My micron slip on is pretty loud. Where can I get some quality ones?

·
Registered
906 Posts
It doesn't matter what helmet you have, for over a 30min ride, they're a must, esp. over 80kph. The wind noise deafens you, and your hearing impairs without you realising it. Anything with a SNR rating under 30 are not worth it; I got some generic foam ones from a pharmacy and Howard Leight "Laser Lite" foam plugs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
People with ear plugs, do yall feel it distracts you from riding or not? does it make you less aware of whats going on? Ive been thinking about getting plugs but dont know how it would effect my riding

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Is it even legal to wear both ear plugs during riding? Something tells me it is not.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the info. I do seem to have somewhat harder time hearing stuff now. But it's especially bad when my girl friend is calling me to do errands and stuff. I need to buy some ear plugs.
As for California, I heard you can wear an earphone on only one of your ear. I read the code long time ago so I don't remember the whole deal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't think that ear plugs would be illegal, and even if so a little easier to hide when you take the helmet off then the ear phones running up to your ear.
I ride with both earplugs at times and earphones as well sometimes.

Motorcycle school recommends earplugs. At least in my class.

·
Registered
380 Posts
People with ear plugs, do yall feel it distracts you from riding or not? does it make you less aware of whats going on? Ive been thinking about getting plugs but dont know how it would effect my riding

No way, it makes you way more aware of what your bike is doing. Its like putting your hands over your ears and talking. Everything else gets shut out around you (like your exaust), but you can hear you voice just fine (or your motor in this case). You can actually hear your RPMs go up when your tire rear starts to slip as opposed to only hearing your loud pipe and just feeling the rear end step out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm a mechanic and go to concerts all of the time so my ears are ok with the noise plus they have miniature orgasms from the Yoshi hahah jk....sortof

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's not the engine noise that is damaging, it is the high frequency noise from the wind.

I wear ear plugs on my longer rides into the hill country but rarely on the short/slow rides in the city.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If I don't wear ear plugs I end up with a headache by the end of the day. Also I think that I'm more tired by the end of the day if I don't wear them. I wear just the cheap foam ones like you can get anywhere.

·
Banned
3,687 Posts
Ear plugs are a must. And its true, its not the engine noise that damages your ears, its the high pitch frequency waves from the air at high speeds that damages the oval window in the middle ear. Medical school biology learned something me lol.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got these: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/superhearos.html

They work really well, and it's CHEAP. I've also tried the Etymotic research ones since I love their earphones. Only thing is, they get dirty after a LOT of use and they're a bit harder and it doesn't muffle out as much as the Hearos.

I went by this review, seemed kinda unbiased: http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/ So check it out. It's really nice, you still hear stuff, so you're not completely tuned out. I have thought about connecting my MP3 player, but I thought that might be a bit too distracting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts