Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been riding since last summer (street only), so I'm not sure if I'm taking corners as fast as I could be. I find that it's way easier to take fast corners in cars than it is on my 03 RR.

I can take highway ramps at 60km/h easily in my car, and while I can do the same on the bike, it don't feel that it's as easy and it's almost to the point where I feel a bit unsafe. And I'm not just talking about sports cars, I can take ramps at 60 easily in my 99 Hyundai Accent. While it is a lightweight car at only 2200lbs, I didn't expect it to be easier on a 20yr old family sedan that I bought for 500 bucks, than a track ready sports bike.
I have to put 100% of my focus on the corner while riding, whereas I can cruise along in the car with one hand on the wheel.

I'm not doubting the cornering capabilities of the bike, pretty much my question is, does anyone else find it easier to take corners fast in cars, or is it just due to my lack of experience/skill?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would anticipate it's your experience level. Think about it, how many years have you been driving a car? Don't know how many years you've been driving but it's obviously more than riding. Driving is almost second nature to you now; a lot of that is likely due to experience and muscle memory which leads to your comfort level.

That being said, I think on a bike of almost any size you'd better be 100% focused all the time. Way too many things out there you can't control (distracted drivers, poor roads, etc., etc.) to not be focused any time you head out. Take your time, give yourself a chance to learn, and don't push it when you aren't comfortable. Just my $0.02...ride safe

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I'm surprised the accent doesn't roll, the suspension would be fubared in that thing by now. :p

You need more seat time, corners I can always go around faster on my 03 RR than the car. I'm no way very experienced, but have been riding daily for 3 years so have a lot of seat time (ride all year round).

Changing from the pirelli's to the pilot road 4's feel even more planted and the minute strips on the side show that it can lean fine.

TLDR: More seat time to build confidence.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
It's definitely due to your subjective experience. Meaning, you are not as comfortable riding the bike yet in high-speed turns.

Once you get more seat time, experience, and skill riding a motorcycle your comfort level and speed will increase. It's absolutely possibless to go just as fast or faster on your bike.

And for new riders I always recommend going to the track if you want to increase your riding skill safely and correctly. Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've only been riding since last summer (street only), so I'm not sure if I'm taking corners as fast as I could be. I find that it's way easier to take fast corners in cars than it is on my 03 RR.

I can take highway ramps at 60km/h easily in my car, and while I can do the same on the bike, it don't feel that it's as easy and it's almost to the point where I feel a bit unsafe. And I'm not just talking about sports cars, I can take ramps at 60 easily in my 99 Hyundai Accent. While it is a lightweight car at only 2200lbs, I didn't expect it to be easier on a 20yr old family sedan that I bought for 500 bucks, than a track ready sports bike.
I have to put 100% of my focus on the corner while riding, whereas I can cruise along in the car with one hand on the wheel.

I'm not doubting the cornering capabilities of the bike, pretty much my question is, does anyone else find it easier to take corners fast in cars, or is it just due to my lack of experience/skill?
Don't feel bad bro. I was in the same position you were in a while ago. For the most part it all comes down to time in the saddle, skill, and overall experience. Our bikes are very capable of taking high speed corners faster than most cars on the road. There's also a lot of other factors that come into play like your suspension, tires, body position, cornering skills, and etc. But for the most part it just comes down to overall experience riding a street bike in general.

Like most will tell you, taking your bike to a track is the best way to explore the capabilities of your bike. After your first track experience, your mind will be blown. You will look at your bike in a different light.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Taking the Hyundai out of the equation, a sport car with 4 hoops and some down force will always out-corner a sport bike.
My Gokart used to try to throw me out of the seat.
He finds it easier to take corners in a car because it is easier and less risky.

·
Registered
484 Posts
"fubared" :D

had the same feeling for a long time. I've been riding for 3 years now. Didn't ride much in the first 2 though.
You'll get there. It's a matter of trust, and looking technique. Look far enough ahead, slowly roll the gas on as early as possible on the corner. You'll feel like the bike will pull you through the corner soon enough.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agree with the comments that 4 wheels > 2 when it comes to cornering, but work on your countersteering and vision (looking through your turns) and you'll get better on the bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check this out to see the difference between 2 and 4 wheels. Very interesting to watch.

Cool video! I love F1 cars and Indy cars as well. I've never been to an F1 race but I've been to an Indy car race and I was impressed but the type of machines those cars actually are. I don't think even a MotoGP bike will be able to hang with those cars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If high performance cars with good tires then yes I agree too.
Doesn't have to be all that high performance. Most any decent sports car can corner better/faster than a bike. The bike's big advantage over your typical car is it's ability to accelerate faster and brake harder.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If high performance cars with good tires then yes I agree too.
Doesn't have to be all that high performance. Most any decent sports car can corner better/faster than a bike. The bike's big advantage over your typical car is it's ability to accelerate faster and brake harder.
Fair enough. One time I had a Miata chase me in the canyons and it was on my tail the entire time. I wasn't pushing myself but that's not the point. Then again, I asked the owner if the Miata had any work done to it. He said he just put coilovers and better tires on the car. But IMO most cars you see everyday on the road won't be able to hang with our bikes especially if the rider that's piloting the bike knows how to corner. I see it a lot when a car will try to chase a supersport bike through the twisties. But yeah I agree with you. Now that I think about it, generally cars will corner faster than motorcycles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another advantage bikes have on the streets is that they have more road to use, although using the whole lane can be a bit dangerous with the oil build up that develops in the center of the lane.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The bike's big advantage over your typical car is it's ability to accelerate faster and brake harder.

Due to the incredible power to weight ratio, yes a bike thrives in the acceleration dept.

Braking on the other hand.........I'll agree, a sport bike will out brake your average family sedan with tires the width of pizza slicers, rotors the size of a CD, pads made out of cheese and suspension off a pogo-stick, but even then, not by a huge amount.
But if it was to face its 4 wheeled sport stiff counterpart, with wide rubber and huge rotors with calipers 1/2 way around them, different story.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Cool video! I love F1 cars and Indy cars as well. I've never been to an F1 race but I've been to an Indy car race and I was impressed but the type of machines those cars actually are. I don't think even a MotoGP bike will be able to hang with those cars.
Motogp bike wouldn't even be close car would lap it by the 3rd or 4th lap....

They just a a vid of a f1 vs guy martin i think. It was on a wsbk

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't know, I'd still pick the bike even if have a car that corners a bit faster... I take it that a bike is a lot more involving and intimate, and that's what I admire about it. Speed is great, but it's more about feel for myself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts