Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the two bolts off but it looks like it also wants the shifter linkage off as well but I'm not sure how to do it without needing to readjust it after putting it back.

Do I nee to even remove this for cleaning?

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's one thourough cleaning you've planned.
It takes about 5 mins to adjust, but if you don't want to bother with it, just take the linkage arm off the shaft. No need to adjust anything then, just note the way it sat on there to start with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It takes about 5 mins to adjust, but if you don't want to bother with it, just take the linkage arm off the shaft. No need to adjust anything then, just note the way it sat on there to start with.
On the top of on the bottom where it meets the foot pedal? If it's not necessary I won't bother but in a how to cleaning video they advised to clean around the area and showed the nasty build up, the bike is also 8 years old and I bet it's never been done

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Nuithari is right. It takes a min or two to put the shift linkage back. Just snap a pic of where it is at, so when you go to put it back on you have a reference. Behind my sprocket cover was a mess.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I do this every fortnight or so. :p I like to keep my chain clean.
@ZeroHour24 You just undo the 10mm bolt from the top of the linkage arm, I believe the little slit should be aligned with the dot on the spline.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do NOT drive shift block onto spline with impacts.

spread shift block open with a flat screwdriver and place it gently on spline shaft.

you have been warned.
I removed the 10mm bolt with a ratchet and it slid right off the spline no problem. I hand tightened until snug when I put it back on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For anyone who wants to see how dirty it was here are some pics.

I couldn't get all the way behind the sprocket because of all those damn hoses. But I got a ton of the grease build up off the cover and the areas I could reach.

I cant wait for my Grease Ninja to come in the mail tomorrow so I can grease and ride again.

I also used an entire can of Motul Chain Cleaner and a Grunge Brush to get the chain as clean as clean as possible. I think I will not buy the Motul again because its way too expensive to do it that way, I will be buying a whole jug of Kerosene and an empty spray bottle.

Album because shitty upload limits on 600rr.net designed for flip phones in 2003

Attachments

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
That's pretty much what mine looked like as well. I had a few flexable brass wire brushes to clean, but I was also doing a 520 conversion while I was in there, so it was a bit easier for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
I never bothered putting the sprocket cover back but i did use that steel plate behind the cover just in case. Makes for easier access & cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I never bothered putting the sprocket cover back but i did use that steel plate behind the cover just in case. Makes for easier access & cleaning.
Only takes 5 minutes to remove the 10mm and 2 x 8mm bolts. :p

Just in case of what? I don't think I would ride with no front sprocket cover, and pretty sure it is illegal here (same as no chain guard).

From TMR website: If the motorbike has a chain or belt drive, the driver and any passenger must be protected from the front sprocket and at least the upper part of the chain or belt by the frame or equipment of the motorbike, or by a guard. The guard must cover the chain or belt to a point at least 300mm to the rear of the rearmost foot rest or above the centre of the rear drive sprocket.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Only takes 5 minutes to remove the 10mm and 2 x 8mm bolts. :p

Just in case of what? I don't think I would ride with no front sprocket cover, and pretty sure it is illegal here (same as no chain guard).

From TMR website: If the motorbike has a chain or belt drive, the driver and any passenger must be protected from the front sprocket and at least the upper part of the chain or belt by the frame or equipment of the motorbike, or by a guard. The guard must cover the chain or belt to a point at least 300mm to the rear of the rearmost foot rest or above the centre of the rear drive sprocket.
Well this guy runs without a front sprocket cover on their WSS spec CBR600RR but he does have a chain guard under the swingarm, i'm gonna put one too as soon as i find something that will match up.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Well this guy runs without a front sprocket cover
I guess, if you're tracking. Ease of use to change sprockets would be the reason.

For street, I don't see any valid reason to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts