Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if this will be possible on bikes? I am thinking of taking a road trip going from CT to California! Prob be going i80 rather than i40. Ya'll think we can make it? Are there enough gas stop out in the middle part of US. Hehe we got fairly limited range on the tank, woulda kinda suck to see the sign saying "next gas station, 180 miles."

Anyway, any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
well, i drove from nv to nc. i wanted to ride, but i'm glad i didn't. i don't think i could've survived the middle part of the US. i took i80 from reno to lincoln, very boring. there are plenty of gas stations, but some of them are in some texas chain saw massacre towns. good luck!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you are going cross country, dont take the main interstates, that would be boring. Get creative and take the scenic routes. Shouldnt be any probs with gas stations. If you are concerned about range, drop a tooth in the back on your gearing for the trip.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
take plenty of pics...cause you will want to remember that trip forever!!! I wish I had the time off and the money to do what your doing. Although I would do it on my cruiser and not the RR.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i'd imagine that'd be a very tiring ride.

get the throttle rocker, and heavier bar ends should alleviate some pain, as well as a tank pag and rear cargo. try not to pack anything in a book bag....the back will hurt enough...no need to carry more weight on it. i dont really believe in corbin seats because i think the stock seats are pretty plush when you become used to it.

and how about adjustable rearsets to lower the footpegs....my knees cramp up from long rides from staying bent up the whole time.

and oh yeah! stomp grips to support your lower back.

i'do 500miles in a day type trip couple time a year...and dayumz...it's a real battle

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I rode from Kansas City, MO to San Antonio, TX a couple months ago on my 600rr and it was.. uhh, interesting. reinforced my respect for honda.. i went on hour long 140mph spurts and i never had any problems with anything.. except when i got back my rear tire was about shot.. 15 hours straight definetly takes its toll on tires.. i think a corbin seat would of definetly helped too. my butt was not liking it for that long.... AND THE THROTTLE ROCKER RULES!!!

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
thats gonna be one hell of a trip on the RR!

pick your routes whether its I80 or the scenic routes and research them for gas stations,
hotels/motels and rest areas. im sure there are an abundance of gas stations on
familiar routes. keep in mind though, it is winter time. so choose the routes
wisely and keep tabs on the upcoming weather in the areas the route(s) takes you.
dress for the worse, take many breaks, rest and hydrate yourself.

should you decided to take this trip....gl mang!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesom! hehe now that i know it's possible, deffinently taking the trip come march. 30 days of leave and spending half of it on the road hooyah lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did it this past summer. Went from Philly out to watch the USGP in Laguna Seca. Most awesome thing ever. I did it on a ZX6R though. I had no problems with pain or being uncomfortable. If I knew it would be a long day (more than 600 miles) I would take a few asprin before I set out.

I didn't have any plan other than a few places I wanted to stop, so I just followed the sun and stayed off major highways.

Good fitting gear is essential in reducing body fatiuge. I have a custom 1 piece that I wore, and later when I tried wearing my old 2 piece that I throught fit well, made me sore after about 45 minutes. I can do 12 hours with the 1 piece.

Like a poster mentioned before, don't carry a backpack, for the same reasons, it will make you tired. I carried everything in a tankbag, and Ventura Luggage system. I could've fit everything I needed in the tankbag, but I was meeting my g/f who was flying out to SF to ride with me down to the race, so I needed to carry her stuff too.

Bring lots of $$$, you will need it. I had planned on camping for the majority of the trip, but after riding 12 hours in 100+ degree heat, all I wanted was a nice show and air conditioned room.

I did all of my maintanence at Walmart. I could pull my bike up to the outdoor garden center out of the sun and do work. I never got hassled.

You do have to plan out your gas stops sometimes. I had a few close calls, but never got stranded.

I got over 11k miles out of a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas that I put on the day before I left. I could not have been happier with them. Great grip (stopped at the Dragon on my way home for 3 days, and I ride hard) and lasts forever. I only ended up changing them because I developed a slow leak and couldn't find the hole to plug it. I probably could've gotten 3k more out of them.

Before I left

Changing oil

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I did a long trip myself this past summer. MY father and I rode from Pennsylvania to Sturgis Rally and back the longest way possible (taking roads not highways). It was great even on the 600rr. here is a pic of the trip

total miles 4930!!! bike didnt have a single hic-up

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh man! that is so awesom! did you take the interstate or just head westbound? i am prob gonna strap and 2 gallon on my back seat just incase hehe, don't want to be stranded.

prob gonna have sea bag on me, ah well i used to lug around 55lbs pack on my back for 7 months, don't see why i can do it for 3 days.

ps, how much did you trip cost? thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's hard to say how much money I spent, because I spent a week at a nice hotel in SanFran with the girlfriend before the race, and spent a good bit of money at the race. I'd say $1000 - $1500 would be do-able for gas, food and lodging. Gas is what you will spend most of your money on, so if you determine how many miles you will be going, you can get a good idea of how much you will spend for it.

If you do end up camping you can spend even less.

Make sure you do keep about $500 in reserve for any major emergencies if you need to make any major repair, or rent a truck to get the bike home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts