Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, i know "would you trust a chinese brake lever coming down from 150 mph... blah blah" but seriously, a set of CRG levers are easily 100+ bucks more than a very nice SET of CNC machined, adjustable, anodized levers that are all over ebay.

anybody have any first hand experience, bad or good? recommended off-brand?

thanks, please spare the flames, :>]

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I run a black pair of eBay CNC levers, and have been fine for 3 years. Prior to that had a red pair on my 250 and no issues either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^^^ I agree.

both of my 954s have them, and so does my 600RR. as previously mentioned, the first pair I bought have begun to fade (but not the actual lever, the middle portion). I don't take my machines to the track (yet), but they've felt solid and strong when I've called upon them in less than ideal conditions.

for the price...? a direct fit, 6-way adjustable, custom color, billet aluminum set of levers for $26 can't be beat!

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you've been around bikes long enough you know they are not ok.
for the price...? a direct fit, 6-way adjustable, custom color, billet aluminum set of levers for $26 can't be beat!
I'm willing to bet large sums of cash that the chinese do not actually mill the levers from solid billet blocks.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
Cheap ass BRAKE levers on the TRACK.

Bwahahahahahaha

Of course, do it. What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've been using cheap brake levers from thetwowheels.com which I believe are the same as the garden variety e-bay levers. Use on both street and track. Don't know which ones specifically you're looking at though.

As someone said above, the anodized colour tends to fade in sunlight over time--red becomes pinkish. There was a little bit of play in one of my levers which was easily remedied with a washer. Other than that, I have zero complaints. They have been solid and reliable.

·
Registered
940 Posts

Bwahahahahahaha

I'll keep you posted. Both my bikes have cheap ebay levers and thus far, 6 track days and counting, no issues. This is in the intermediate group FWIW.

What I find so very funny is people thinking they could not come from the same factory but are missing that "special" stamp with a logo on them that drives up the price for your name brand ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replies, it's given me things to think about...

I'm willing to bet large sums of cash that the chinese do not actually mill the levers from solid billet blocks.
been on bikes for 40 years, 10 on the track. there are things that make sense to buy from quality, high end suppliers (clutches, pistons, cams, brakes, etc) but for something as simple as a mechanical lever, i gotta believe the chinese/tiawanese are quite capable of manufacturing a good product.

as far as you whether they are "billet"? that's funny. what else would they be? CAST levers would be obvious, i'll take that bet for whatever money you want to throw down. FORGED levers? i'd actually prefer forged, especially for 30 bucks a set since they'd be way stronger than billet. waaay too expensive to tool and produce. pretty obvious to detect a CNC lever based on the tooling/machining marks. a better question is whether the material is 6061 T6 or something cheaper or without the heat tempering that makes it strong. even if some lower grade alloy, i can't imagine anyone bending a lever with a couple fingers.

Bwahahahahahaha
if i had the time or inclination, i could whittle one out of a chunk of aluminum myself. i'm no pro machinist but with enough time i could copy one of those big buck CRG levers. it wouldnt be a good use of my time (it would take me HOURS if not weeks), but someone with a CNC could do it pretty darn easily, like all those asian widget factories. pretty hard to mess it up really. worst case, the lever might feel sloppy, the adjustment lever was hard to work, or the pivot wears out quickly. no biggie.

i'm in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
thanks for the replies, it's given me things to think about...

been on bikes for 40 years, 10 on the track. there are things that make sense to buy from quality, high end suppliers (clutches, pistons, cams, brakes, etc) but for something as simple as a mechanical lever, i gotta believe the chinese/tiawanese are quite capable of manufacturing a good product.

as far as you whether they are "billet"? that's funny. what else would they be? CAST levers would be obvious, i'll take that bet for whatever money you want to throw down. FORGED levers? i'd actually prefer forged, especially for 30 bucks a set since they'd be way stronger than billet. waaay too expensive to tool and produce. pretty obvious to detect a CNC lever based on the tooling/machining marks. a better question is whether the material is 6061 T6 or something cheaper or without the heat tempering that makes it strong. even if some lower grade alloy, i can't imagine anyone bending a lever with a couple fingers.

if i had the time or inclination, i could whittle one out of a chunk of aluminum myself. i'm no pro machinist but with enough time i could copy one of those big buck CRG levers. it wouldnt be a good use of my time (it would take me HOURS if not weeks), but someone with a CNC could do it pretty darn easily, like all those asian widget factories. pretty hard to mess it up really. worst case, the lever might feel sloppy, the adjustment lever was hard to work, or the pivot wears out quickly. no biggie.

i'm in.
I was about to say the same thing.
I'd take the same bet, the levers look machined, it would not be cost effective to forge and machine later just to get the look.
Doesn't make sense, they fall out of a Chinese made machine centre, but a machine centre not a cast.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I'm not going to get into a verbal confrontation with you... but surely not cast. If a rider is only using a small percentage of their bike's potential, then they surely don't need titanium everything that's been MotoGP tested. Just my opinion.

EDIT: ...and please pardon me. I just noticed this thread is in the "track talk" section. disclaimer: I haven't any track experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been using cheap brake levers from thetwowheels.com which I believe are the same as the garden variety e-bay levers. Use on both street and track. Don't know which ones specifically you're looking at though.

As someone said above, the anodized colour tends to fade in sunlight over time--red becomes pinkish. There was a little bit of play in one of my levers which was easily remedied with a washer. Other than that, I have zero complaints. They have been solid and reliable.
nice, thanks. I'm going to go with these -
7 Click GP 3D Lever Set (Brake & Clutch) / Honda (FINAL SALE)
and with all the money I'm saving I bought all kinds of other goodies like SPOOLS and BAR ENDS. any ney sayers out there think THOSE are questionable too?? :wink2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got some shorty adjustable levers from "china" on amazon. Install took 10 minutes and they work perfect. Little more play up and down than the stock levers but overall for $27 I'm happy!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm not going to get into a verbal confrontation with you... but surely not cast. If a rider is only using a small percentage of their bike's potential, then they surely don't need titanium everything that's been MotoGP tested. Just my opinion.

EDIT: ...and please pardon me. I just noticed this thread is in the "track talk" section. disclaimer: I haven't any track experience.
My comment was never ment as a "they aren't strong enough" comment. I've read countless "why did my front brakes lock up after ebay levers" threads. No thanks. My oem levers on my F4i have lasted plenty of miles and plenty of trackdays so I don't see the need for cheap ass levers that will fade in sunlight. I have an ASV short brake lever on my RR because it was only $70 on clearance, otherwise I would have thrown a stocker back on that too.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
nice, thanks. I'm going to go with these -
7 Click GP 3D Lever Set (Brake & Clutch) / Honda (FINAL SALE)
and with all the money I'm saving I bought all kinds of other goodies like SPOOLS and BAR ENDS. any ney sayers out there think THOSE are questionable too?? :wink2:
Yep those are the ones I've got. Been using them for several years. I got black with red adjusters. The red has faded a bit but the black is still black.

My comment was never ment as a "they aren't strong enough" comment. I've read countless "why did my front brakes lock up after ebay levers" threads. No thanks. My oem levers on my F4i have lasted plenty of miles and plenty of trackdays so I don't see the need for cheap ass levers that will fade in sunlight. I have an ASV short brake lever on my RR because it was only $70 on clearance, otherwise I would have thrown a stocker back on that too.
How would levers cause your brakes to lock? They are basically just an extension of your hand that hits the little switch on the master cylinder.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts