Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is a very sad day for my best friend (New member to 600rr). Since moving back to the area after a stint of playing college football in Ohio, my best friend landed a good job. Now he was in the market to purchase a bike since he had sold his 03’ Honda Shadow before moving to Ohio. Anyways, I let him take a spin on my 600rr (first person to ride it other than my self) and he fell in love with it. So instead of a cruiser he now wanted a 600rr (don’t blame him). So let the search begin… A week and 1/2 ago he found a 03’ 600rr on Ebay for $4k I think. I was like BS, but the seller gave my friend a story that he took the bike with him from the states to the UK but could not ride it because the taxes and registration on the bike were too much $$$ & he could not sell the bike in UK, thus the excellent price on the bike. My buddy wins the auction on Ebay and gets an email from Ebay and Squaretrade with payment instructions. To make a long story short he did not hear from the seller for a week after payment was made so he filed a complaint to Ebay. Today Ebay informs him that the seller of the bike hacked some old ladies Ebay ID who sells stamps on Ebay and the two Emails (one from Ebay and one from Squaretrade) were hoaxes. So basically my Friend paid for a bike that he will never see and have to pay for a loan worth nothing but the fact that it is going to make him sick every time he has to make a payment on it. Lesson learned, “If it is too good to be true, it probably is!” And two, make payment directly though Ebay so that the funds can be tracked! Damm I fell for him…now I am going to have to wait to ride with my buddy because some jacksauce in Europe ripped him off…MOTHER F**KER!!!!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
sorry to hear man. I do so much online purchasing that I have learned how to tell fake emails and payment options. So there is nothing more he can do to get some of his money back. I would be researching where the money went and do what ever I had to in order to get something back. I hope everything works out the best it can. Tell your buddie to keep his head up!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dude, I wouldn't buy a used bike unless I had visually inspected it, period. (not to mention running the VIN at the DMV) Sure, that means I'll pay more in the long run, but the security is worth it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know...I can't do much here at work for him, but tonight we are going to get together and see what we can do about getting a URL for the guys emial address ect. It really blows though!

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
contact the police, maybe they can get in touch with British, or whatever country they're in, authorities and track the fuggers down.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
no offense but that was just plain stupid not to make payment for something such as a bike through ebay/paypal. everyone knows that the scammers use payment options such as western union etc. sure it sucks but that was just Dumb on his part.

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
That SUCKS! Sorry to hear about that.. Track the bastard down, spend the money to take a vacation, and kill his arse. ;-)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
it's hard to believe that people are still falling for these scams. On the 5 bike boards I frequent you can't read a weeks worth of posts and not see these "foreign country" scams, usually they're all caught before money changes hands but I guess there's still a few people who fall for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
was the bike located in Arizona? I emailed someone about one in Arizona for $4k about 2-3 months ago. I received a reply how he moved to europe and couldnt import it...the bs detector came on
I have a friend who was screwed out of $3k worth of car audio equipment when he sent it to a seller over seas. The buyer used a bad check that initially cleared with his bank...a week later, after the equip had been sent and transaction went down off Ebay, the bank calls and tells them they are taking the money out of his account bc the check was fake.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
it's hard to believe that people are still falling for these scams. On the 5 bike boards I frequent you can't read a weeks worth of posts and not see these "foreign country" scams, usually they're all caught before money changes hands but I guess there's still a few people who fall for it.
werd.
hard to believe people still fall for these "too good to be true" deals...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that it was a bad call on his part...the red flag went up in my head when he told me about the deal. I was under the impression that he was paying through Square Trade via the EBAY website so I thought it was kosher...I did not know he went to an "off EBAY" website to pay...Poor GUY!!!

H

·
0 Posts
there are way too many scams out there.. for me i do not spend more than a couple hundred at most on ebay... this way if the deal goes bad i am not out too much...

with large purchases i always buy in-person...

i had a friend that wanted to buy a bike on ebay... he told be the story and i called out scam before he finished the first sentence.. he was presistant.. so i told him that i would take his $$ and kick him in the sack.. because he would get more out of that than the ebay deal.. needless to say he did not buy the bike..

p.s. the bike was an 04 r1 for 3k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awww...that sucks. My parents got scammed out of a few hundred on e-bay too so they are always warning me when I use it. Ya I tried to keep my purchases under $100. A lesson learend, it was just a really expensive lesson. I wish we could chip in and help out your buddy but that could be a scam in itself...what a crappy mindframe we have to live in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wenniki- Thanks for the offer chica...I know I told my buddy (like a brother to me) that I just got paid and I am going to dish in $500, twords the cuase. Just sucks!

BlueBlur- I have seen your sig picture manytimes, but I have never commented on it...that is one sick looking dog, lol!

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
meccaonez said:
BlueBlur- I have seen your sig picture manytimes, but I have never commented on it...that is one sick looking dog, lol!
yeah my fav pic so far. stands out!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts