Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheel Runout
I bought a wheel on ebay. The wheel showed cosmetic damage of scratches all over, which seemed like from a careless owner who made his own tire changes.

After setting it on the wheel balance, I can see a very very small bend on the edge or the wheel. You cant see it if you just look at it but when its spinning on the balance, you can see a small dip.

Any suggestions what I should do?

Below is what he sent me:

"The front wheel was check before being listed on ebay. I have two options. #1 you can return the front wheel to me and I'll replace it with another but you have to pay for shipping one way which will cost 40.00. #2 I have insurance on the front and rear wheel for 150.00 each. I know the wheel was check. I don't know if the box was damage.If you claim the insurance usps will refund you the money. the tracking number if the insurance information. If you have any questions please contact me."

I dont feel like its my responsibility to have to pay to ship this wheel back and pay another $40 to send a good one to me(I believe that is what he is asking).

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Man just bring it to a rim shop and get them to straighten it out we have them all over Louisiana bc of our crappy roads I've had plenty of rims straightened out there before. As for ebay never buy anything that is already damaged and expect it not to me more damaged than the seller is advertising I have had no luck with buys like this. If you dont have a rim shop i would return it and find a better wheel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
I dont feel like its my responsibility to have to pay to ship this wheel back and pay another $40 to send a good one to me(I believe that is what he is asking).

What do you guys think?
Sounds normal for ebay. Not right or wrong, just normal.
anyone have some actual advice or input?
Wow, just wow.

So you come to a motorcycle forum to get advice on ebay transactions, then give an answer like that.

What you are going through is normal. Happens everyday to thousands of people. The difference is that they are all smart enough to go through EBAY to get their questions answered. I know, crazy...right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Repsolagv thats what I think im going to try.

TheX your response to my question for advice the equivalent of "IDK"

yes what happened to me may be common, I was asking for advice on my next step before having to file a claim. I am currently talking to the seller first, obviously, i did post his response after all.

I dont feel like I should have to pay for shipping on the wheel which he claimed had no bends and was straight/balanced.

I reiterate, i was asking for advice/opinions on the matter, not statements that what happened to me, happens to others.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This story happens many times on eBay, I usually hear about it about shoes but i'm sure this applies in the same way. If you make a claim against the seller through ebay (might be paypal) because of false advertising or whatever, you have a great chance of winning. Especially if it's defective in some way that was not listed. Buyer > Seller according to the way ebay treats these things.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,726 Posts
The 40 bucks is a cry baby tax.

Just use it. A tiny bend in the lip won't cause any trouble as long as the tire beads properly. I bet the previous owner didn't even notice it because you described it as difficult to see.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree that you should just use it. If it balances properly you're probably good. I run a front wheel with a bent lip on my track bike. Zero issues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I returned it for the exchange, I didnt want to go through the aggravating process of making a claim. The seller and I came to an agreement, I send the wheel back(i paid $24) and he is sending the replacement(a much better condition one). I am happy with the exchange.

The main reason i didnt want to keep it is because I will be using the set for track.
I didnt want the fact that I found a slight bump to be on my mind and affecting my confidence.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Then if you'd like a big confidence boost, closely inspect the bikes of the fastest guys. Held together with duct tape and zip ties, more dents and scratches than most construction equipment. It is surprising the shape some track beaters are in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Their Wheels are held by Duct tape and zips ties? WOW lol.
I know youre talking about the fairings, thats a different story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts