Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any safe suggestion for lube/grease I can spray in my turn signal switch?

The switch to use the turn signals is a little slow on the return back to center after you push it in either direction...I'm looking for something I can use that will be safe to spray inside to loosen it up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Does anyone have any safe suggestion for lube/grease I can spray in my turn signal switch?

The switch to use the turn signals is a little slow on the return back to center after you push it in either direction...I'm looking for something I can use that will be safe to spray inside to loosen it up...
You could try something like this:

I'm not sure it will penetrate very well trying to spray it in though. You're probably better off taking it apart and cleaning it up, then using a regular tube of dielectric grease to smear some on instead of a spray can when putting it back together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Sticking/slow switches are usually because of crud buildup in the joints. Spraying might help for a little while until all that goo mixes with what's already there and everything else that it attracts and starts to stick again. Best course would be to pick it apart and give it a good clean.

Otherwise, look for anything that has "dielectric" written on it. That means it's an electric insulator and you can find both sprays and grease of that sort. Take a look at the specs and you'll see something to the tune of volts/mil, or volts/(some unit of distance), which is the dielectric strength. I remember seeing an aerosol can in Walmart a while back. Pretty much any aerosol or grease is going be far better rated than the 12v that the switch operates at.

Edit: Pretty much the same as what ar said. Took too long to post so he beat me to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sticking/slow switches are usually because of crud buildup in the joints. Spraying might help for a little while until all that goo mixes with what's already there and everything else that it attracts and starts to stick again. Best course would be to pick it apart and give it a good clean.

Otherwise, look for anything that has "dielectric" written on it. That means it's an electric insulator and you can find both sprays and grease of that sort. Take a look at the specs and you'll see something to the tune of volts/mil, or volts/(some unit of distance), which is the dielectric strength. I remember seeing an aerosol can in Walmart a while back. Pretty much any aerosol or grease is going be far better rated than the 12v that the switch operates at.

Edit: Pretty much the same as what ar said. Took too long to post so he beat me to it.

Indeed. I plan on taking the covers apart and checking it out thoroughly, but I figured I would check with you guys to see if you had used anything in the past before I did anything.

This was just a "To Do" part of my list so I'll see what I can't figure out this evening.

Thanks guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Grab a can of Deoxit and clean it out. Commonly used in audio equipment for faders, pots and switches. I wouldn't think it needs to be greased but im not sure on that part.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top