Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is a tankslapper. I Thought that a tank slapper is when someone starts to highside, but saves it and instead comes down SUPER hard on the tank, but I read something recently that made me rethink this. Whats a tankslapper?

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
when the bars slap on side of the tank... steering dampers help to save them , head shake , they are horrible . different to recovering a hiside

·
Registered
199 Posts
a tank slapper consist of the front end becoming light for various reasons. the tank slapper usually occurs because your handle bars will be turned one way or the other just a little bit. the front tire regains traction and the handle bars will move from full turn one way to full turn the other way very quickly. like the handle bars are slapping the tank. hence the name tank slapper

·
Registered
493 Posts
beach basically had it down. It's when the front end becomes light and due to undulations/imperfections in the surface and/or powering out of a turn or cresting a hill, the clip-ons/handle bars may be turn slightly to one way or another. A bike naturally wants to go in a straight line so when your front wheel becomes un-aligned to the rear wheel, the bike and/or 'bars will ocillate from side to side trying to re-align itself.

If you fight it it will only get worse and I've seen (in person) the rear wheel actually hopping (not just the front) trying to re-align itself. Of course I was following my friend who races in AMA supersport (on an RR :) ) and he's so good and unfaded by it, he backs the bike intop the next corner with the rear wheel smoking. Coolest thing EVER! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
What is the best way to handle your bike in this situation?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Steady on the Throttle. If you add more throttle it helps too because you are "lifting" the front wheel up to reduce how much steering pressure there is.

If you CHOP the throttle, then you compress your suspension therefore you tank slapper becomes more violent and harder to handle.

So either steady the throttle or just HAMMER it. Either one works depending ONLY upon the situation your in

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Scary situation and the solution is almost counter-intuitive: very few problems can be solved by actually going faster. Glad to hear it. Knowledge = power. Might just save a life.

·
Registered
736 Posts
yeah moe puts it best there are very few situations while riding that actually require you to slow down or stop. just keep on the gas and swerve or ride it out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts