Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to sell my 07 in California. I bought it in Connecticut before I moved. I have it posted up in a forum and everyone is asking if its CA emissions legal, I asked the dealer before I bought it if it were and he said yes. Well he was a sales person and Im sure he just wanted a sale. So where is the sticker located, and any other helpful advice would be great.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The emissions sticker is on your swingarm...DON"T EVER TAKE THAT OFF, Honda will give out replacements and you absolutely must have that sticker in So Cal. They are very strict about that emissions stuff .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that. people are telling me its on the headstock.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Im trying to sell my 07 in California. I bought it in Connecticut before I moved. I have it posted up in a forum and everyone is asking if its CA emissions legal, I asked the dealer before I bought it if it were and he said yes. Well he was a sales person and Im sure he just wanted a sale. So where is the sticker located, and any other helpful advice would be great.

Thanks

Chris
People, in general, are ignorant and retarded. The general rule is that a 49 state bike has to have 7500 miles on it before it can be registered in California. However, there are exceptions to every rule. In your case, if you bought the bike and then moved here, you should be able to register the bike here. Once you have the bike registered here, it is perfectly legal for you to sell it to someone else who already lives here regardless of the emissions standards.

The law was put in place to keep people from going to Oregon, and to a lesser extent Nevada, to purchase new vehicles and bring them back to cali and avoid taxes. They just call it an emissions law because they are trying to disguise their real intentions.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
if the sales said yes and u cant bring it here coz of emission stuff...then u can sue his ass...

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
Now because I am some what of a noob I will only say this. As far as Az Is concerned I was lead to believe that all 3 of my 600RR's bought new did NOT have that cali stuff on It, So If I were to take my bike there I thought I would need that stuff. I hear all the time.. Is that bike from Cali ? If so NO GOOD that emission crap sucks ect..

People, in general, are ignorant and retarded. The general rule is that a 49 state bike has to have 7500 miles on it before it can be registered in California. However, there are exceptions to every rule. In your case, if you bought the bike and then moved here, you should be able to register the bike here. Once you have the bike registered here, it is perfectly legal for you to sell it to someone else who already lives here regardless of the emissions standards.

The law was put in place to keep people from going to Oregon, and to a lesser extent Nevada, to purchase new vehicles and bring them back to cali and avoid taxes. They just call it an emissions law because they are trying to disguise their real intentions.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Now because I am some what of a noob I will only say this. As far as Az Is concerned I was lead to believe that all 3 of my 600RR's bought new did NOT have that cali stuff on It, So If I were to take my bike there I thought I would need that stuff. I hear all the time.. Is that bike from Cali ? If so NO GOOD that emission crap sucks ect..
t's what everyone thinks, but they are wrong. Generally, no, you can't bring an out of state vehicle into Cali unless it has 7500 miles on it, but there are exceptions.

1.) If you move here from out of state, you can bring all of your vehicles. California is not pompous enough to think everyone who moves here is going to buy new cars all the time.
2.) If you are a California resident, on vacation or business in another state, and your vehicle is wrecked, stolen, etc. You can but a new vehicle to replace it and you will be able to bring it to Cali.
3.) If you are active duty military, you can bring your vehicles from out of state and register them in Cali.

The rule is, if you are already a Cali resident, you can't go out of state and buy a vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good info! It would be silly to think no one could bring non-cali vehicles into cali.

t's what everyone thinks, but they are wrong. Generally, no, you can't bring an out of state vehicle into Cali unless it has 7500 miles on it, but there are exceptions.

1.) If you move here from out of state, you can bring all of your vehicles. California is not pompous enough to think everyone who moves here is going to buy new cars all the time.
2.) If you are a California resident, on vacation or business in another state, and your vehicle is wrecked, stolen, etc. You can but a new vehicle to replace it and you will be able to bring it to Cali.
3.) If you are active duty military, you can bring your vehicles from out of state and register them in Cali.

The rule is, if you are already a Cali resident, you can't go out of state and buy a vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was told by DMV that the 7500 miles rule doesn't apply if the previous owner registered the vehicle in the other state (i.e. you are buying the vehicle as it's second owner). I checked before buying my last bike, which I bought from out of state. I registered it in cali with 500 miles.

I've heard different stories from different people though. It's possible I had wrong info and just got lucky with the registration.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I was told by DMV that the 7500 miles rule doesn't apply if the previous owner registered the vehicle in the other state (i.e. you are buying the vehicle as it's second owner). I checked before buying my last bike, which I bought from out of state. I registered it in cali with 500 miles.

I've heard different stories from different people though. It's possible I had wrong info and just got lucky with the registration.
Some DMV employees think that, and if you find one you're lucky. Bring as many bikes in as you can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some DMV employees think that, and if you find one you're lucky. Bring as many bikes in as you can.
If that's the case, I'll just count myself lucky for getting in the one I did. I tried to be cautious at the time, I even documented my call to the DMV (rep's name, date/time of call, what they said)... but I've heard since then that I'm the one who's liable if they gave me wrong information. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If that's the case, I'll just count myself lucky for getting in the one I did. I tried to be cautious at the time, I even documented my call to the DMV (rep's name, date/time of call, what they said)... but I've heard since then that I'm the one who's liable if they gave me wrong information. :rolleyes:
You are not liable for anything. They let you register the bike so you are good to go. They are not supposed to register an out of state bike with less than 7500 miles except for the 3 reasons I already posted. Even though you bought it from somebody else, with less than 7500 miles on it, the DMV still considers it new and will not register it. You got lucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts