Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This enclosed trailer is absolutely perfect for hauling your motorcycle. It took me atleast 25-30 minutes to find an answer online if it would work good, maybe my searching skills just suck, the special strap made to loop around your handle grips is a big bonus in keeping your bike from moving too. Dont tell U-Haul its for a bike either, youre just hauling furniture! The trailer I used had small hooks at the bottom, there was actually only one hook inside and I found 2 more on the outside of the trailer, for what I dont know but i unbolted those suckers and moved them inside in the corners. Hope this helps others save time from searching!

Sean

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Why wouldn't you tell them its for your bike?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
uhaul has a new 5x9 that has a wheel chalk for motorcycles. works great. costs $24 for the day, plus insurance and taxes, so around $40-50 in total. Has plenty of tie down hooks.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Why wouldn't you tell them its for your bike?
What I was told is its for insurance. You need to buy a special insurance to haul cars/bikes. So its cheaper not to tell them.

But thats all second hand, could be wrong

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a lady tell me on the phone that you arent allowed to have any motorcycles in their enclosed trailer.

Bussychild, is that a 5x9 enclosed trailer? I doubt it... Obviously that's for a motorcycle so 100% it should work. I got the enclosed 5x8 to be extra safe, was supposed to thunderstorm but that never happened. Nice to know the bike is put away the whole trip... hell you can even throw a lock on it. This was all around 50 bucks for 48 hours.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yea uhaul has some really good deals on trailer rentals. the 5x8 would work for a motorcycle and its a big plus if you want to keep it kept inside the whole trip. i think the motorcycle specific trailer is still the best tho. its light weight and has plenty of tie down points. i have to haul it with an old avalon so keeping weight down is a must.

·
Registered
543 Posts
any insight as to what it cost for one way cross country ? i have looked on their sight and it sayd $250+ which is super dissapointing. i need to go from ohio to cali... and I cant leave my bike behind. im drivin my jeep, so im weighing the options. 250 for a uhaul isnt really one of them

-Aaron

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Bussychild, is that a 5x9 enclosed trailer?/quote]

nope, was their new open 5x9 trailer with a motorcycle chalk/indent. worked great. i dont know what that lady was talking about, trying calling around a few stores in your area and see what they have.

from what the manager at the uhaul near me told me they are getting rid of those motorcycle trailers if they havent gotten rid of them completely aready due to liability issues.

that moto trailer is very rickety and light. the first time i used it i was scared/worried the whole time that it was going to fall apart. the 5x9 worked great/

·
Registered
491 Posts
You could also just go to the U-haul store and ask them if you could look inside the trailer to "measure the space"...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used the U-Haul open motorcycle trailer when I bought by first bike and it was fine but when it is all said and done it is close to $40/day. If you are going to trailer 1-2 times a year the best/cheapest thing to do is go get an open 4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight. You can pick them up for $150-$175 when they are on sale. It takes several hours to assemble, and you need to add your own plywood deck, wheel chock and eyebolts for tie down points. I had less than $250 in mine when it was all said and down and used it 40-50 times. I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer a year or so ago and put the HF trailer on Craigslist for $300 with the intention to negotiate down. I got 20 calls on it the day I listed it and ended up selling it for $350 - $50 more than I was asking.

For the person making the trip from Ohio to Cali - definitely buy the Harbor Freight trailer. It will be a little work setting up, but you should be able get all/most of your money back out of it when you are done. It will definitely be better than giving UHaul $250 to use it once.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Forgot to mention... the majority of the bikes I bought were within a couple hours when I was using the HF trailer, but 2 were long distance. 1 was a 700 pound 90 CBR1000 in Maryland and the other was a old GSXR600 in Minnesota (coming from Cleveland, OH on both). The trailer did real well with the heavier bike and long distances.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used the U-Haul open motorcycle trailer when I bought by first bike and it was fine but when it is all said and done it is close to $40/day. If you are going to trailer 1-2 times a year the best/cheapest thing to do is go get an open 4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight. You can pick them up for $150-$175 when they are on sale. It takes several hours to assemble, and you need to add your own plywood deck, wheel chock and eyebolts for tie down points. I had less than $250 in mine when it was all said and down and used it 40-50 times. I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer a year or so ago and put the HF trailer on Craigslist for $300 with the intention to negotiate down. I got 20 calls on it the day I listed it and ended up selling it for $350 - $50 more than I was asking.

For the person making the trip from Ohio to Cali - definitely buy the Harbor Freight trailer. It will be a little work setting up, but you should be able get all/most of your money back out of it when you are done. It will definitely be better than giving UHaul $250 to use it once.
This is EXACTLY what I'm doing now. I bought the 4x8 folding trailer (with 12" wheels) from Harbor Freight on Monday. I couldn't wait for a sale, so I just used a 20% off coupon that I found in the car & driver magazine. (D'oh! I just checked the price and it's on sale now, 2 days after I bought it!) I paid $264 plus tax for just the trailer. Anyway, I'm building it in my garage now. My gf and I put about 5 hours into it and we're just about done. Probably gonna buy some plywood decking today.

With the money I saved by going with this cheaper trailer, I bought a fancy Pittbull Trailer Restraint System to hold the bike down on the trailer. It's coming in on Friday hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I'm doing now. I bought the 4x8 folding trailer (with 12" wheels) from Harbor Freight on Monday. I couldn't wait for a sale, so I just used a 20% off coupon that I found in the car & driver magazine. (D'oh! I just checked the price and it's on sale now, 2 days after I bought it!) I paid $264 plus tax for just the trailer. Anyway, I'm building it in my garage now. My gf and I put about 5 hours into it and we're just about done. Probably gonna buy some plywood decking today.

With the money I saved by going with this cheaper trailer, I bought a fancy Pittbull Trailer Restraint System to hold the bike down on the trailer. It's coming in on Friday hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes.
That is definitely a good way to go. It is a cheap light duty trailer, but I have hauled many bikes with mine without any problems. I ended up just using a Pingle removable wheel chock, they are $30-$35, but the Pitbull system will be real nice.

The assembly is the part that sucks the most. I think my cousin and I had 3-4 hours putting ours together using air tools.

I got your PM about the plywood. I will respond there, but wanted to post it here so others could see the information. We used 3/4 treated plywood. It was a little thick to fold it up completely, the top sections had a 6-8" gap. I think at a minimum you would want 1/2-5/8" so I am not sure how big of difference it would make. We rarely folded ours though, I just left it outside next to the garage. As often as I used it it wasn't worth the hassle of folding it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts