Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 RR and have run into a major problem and can't even come close to resolving it. At times the bike runs fine generally when it heats up the problems arise. The engine will begin to bog and stutter at a variety of rpm ranges, from idle to about 10,000 rpm. The engine temp is normal, fan is working normal. Thought it was my PC3 but after removing it the problem still remained. Seems to really be affected by outside temp the hotter the day the worse it is. I have had the fuel pump pulled cleaned checked all fuel lines the vent is clear checked all terminals and were good. Could it be electrical and were would i start looking?... the battery is good and the terminals are tight. The hole thing is it works fine some of the time... Could this be a heat damaged ECU could it be ignition coils, engine coolant temp sensor? Just hoping to get pointed in the right direction, would appreciate any help i can get.

Thank you

·
Registered
810 Posts
Engine coolant temp sensor is where I'd be looking. Sounds as if your bike is overfueling.
Have you looked at the plugs?
When was the last time the bike was serviced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
yea i got the same problem, 03 600rr bone stock, with 5000 miles, i just changed the plugs but that didnt seem to fix anything, bike revs up fine in neutral, but when under load it bogs down from idle to about 6000 rpm. After 6000 the bike runs great, i believe thats when the second set of injectors come on but not 100%. the bikes runs alot better when the air temp is cold, and really hesitates when hot out, dont have a clue what it is, i tore the bike all apart last weekend, but everything looked good...(injectors, throttle bodies, airfilter, airbox, all the sensors looked good from what i can tell but who knows) any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance zach

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda seems to think its the map sensor.... ones on order so we'll see in a little bit... I'll let everybody now

K

·
0 Posts
hahahaha, they think it's the problem, and they're already ordering parts? good grief!

Don't techs verify problems before they get to replacing parts anymore?!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine is having the same problem, i read somewhere that a few people had the same problem on bikes that have been down and they replaced the fuel filter and it fixed it?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mine is having the same problem, i read somewhere that a few people had the same problem on bikes that have been down and they replaced the fuel filter and it fixed it?
Fuel filter -> exactly what I was going to suggest.

·
Registered
206 Posts
03 had a problem with the voltage reg not having a heat sheild and getting hot and not charging the bike properly and causing it to cut out and spt and sputter and die!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Gettin the same thing? Lol.. My pc hooked up fine to the computer.. Everything seems to be in check but i haven't done any thurough research as of yet.. It only happens once the bike's been running for more than 1 minute.. I can shut the bike OFF, turn it on and it's fine, then again, 1 minute later it occurs.
Runs fine 6000+ On acceleration,
Deceleration is fine
It only occurs when at a constant rate of speed or consitent throttle %. Stutters, shutters etc.. Really shitty.. Feels like i'm riding a bull home from school lol

As far as plugs go.. It would seem odd to work one minute, and not the next, especially since, 1. heat is consitent within a period of 5-10 minutes, 2. On startup, bike SHOULD react in the same manner as it does when stuttering after a few minutes. It should always react the same..
However, on acceleration, if the fuel filter should disallow the necessary fuel to idle, it should be (in terms of throttle position) restricting at a much higher % on acceleration?

I'm going to check the fuel filter tonight, i'll add my findings to this afterwards!
Other than that, i have noooo ideas.. It's been about 3000km's since my last oil change, no mods acquired since my motofansclub fairings, filter is regularly serviced (twice a month) and was recently just done like normal..
ionnnooooo

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, everything checked out. My father and i decided to give one last test tonight before we put it away to determine the problem and it seems to have worked!

Basically i ran the crap out of the bike (With DECENT warm up, Hard acceleration to 14000 or limiter through gears for 25 min... basic track day run.) .. I know it sounds simple but hear me out..

Our montreal climate is becoming fairly chilly at this time of the year forcing me to ride my bike easier than normal due to the operating temp's being substantially lower, and slower to rise (OEM thermostat).
I NEVER run my bikes full out without warming up, so basically in the temperatures im faced with now, i hardly run my bike to its fullest.. cruising at approx 160-180 km/h at 7500-8200 rpm avg and no where near 6000 between shifts..

Basically what im getting at is.. Fouled plugs. due to the temperature, i'm not running my bike hard enough alongside the fact that it's very cold, the bike is compensating by running richer. By not running the bike hard enough, the plugs are consistently fouling and not clearing up due to me babying the bike.

This is a typical rule of thumb for any mechanic/motorcycle enthusiast with engine knowledge, however it never really occured to me that fuel injection would cause such an issue based on temperature. This was my belief when cross referencing to cars, but this IS a high performance engine which is meant to be run at full capacity, and not necessarily best suited for colder climates..

Anyways, i thought i'd just share my two cents. The rest of you with this issue may differ but give it a go! We seemed to have quite similar symptoms so it cant hurt to try.

Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honda seems to think its the map sensor.... ones on order so we'll see in a little bit... I'll let everybody now
Did this fix it? I'm having the same problem but it would seem only after extended high rpm usage. Was blaming fuel because the FI light isn't coming on. I have almost 13,000miles on the bike. Will try fuel filter and spark plugs first.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
hahahaha, they think it's the problem, and they're already ordering parts? good grief!

Don't techs verify problems before they get to replacing parts anymore?!
How can you test a known good part if they don't have one in stock????

It sounds more like the fuel filter/spark plug problem other people have ran into.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guys, just to let everyone know, took the bike back to the dealership(still under warranty) and they said the exhaust flapper was sticking closed at times. It's an 07, not sure if the earlier models have this. Probably would be best if I bought the jumper I've seen here and get rid of the valve and motor for it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
time for new plugs for me, i too have a stuttering problems at times, and the bike doesn't seem to pull up top at all

·
Registered
69 Posts
anyone get their problem solved?

No, I installed the jumper for the exhaust flapper valve, still ran the same, changed spark plugs and still the same. I did make sure the exhaust valve was open. I think I have a bad coil or something that gets hot because it will run good until the temp gets up to operating temp. I still have some warranty left so I might try to take it back to the dealership but I'm thinking they might give me a hard time about the servo bypass.

·
Registered
265 Posts
EXACTLY! Once the bike is 'up to temp' is the key phrase. For some odd reason it runs flawless up to operating temp and then it all goes to s###'s... Really strange..

I ran my bike yesterday indoors at approx 15 celsius, new plugs, new oil, fresh gas. Like i mentioned earlier all engine work was done (Valves checked etc). I have all the lower and mid fairings off to check for exhaust leaks since that was mentioned in a post..

Ran perfectly fine?.. Strangely enough, ran 15 minutes up to 85 celsius (Normal operating temp, at least for my bike in our climate), and had absolutely no issues stuttering/bogging at any point. Held good steady rpm's throughout. Weird? Maybe plugs were the only culprit in my situation, however it seems odd since the majority of you with the same issue cant resolve it with a simple plug change..

I hope you go through with the warranty; at least if you get an inspection of some sort by an accredited dealer, they may have a solution. Must be a common problem considering so many of us have the EXACT same symptoms..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts