Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How'd you break your engine in?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious to see how people around here treat their brand new engines. I personally do mine hard. Granted I've only had the pleasure of doing this once with a rebuilt engine (new rings, pistons, and re-honed cylinders) on an old ass Accord back in the day without any issues. I can't give a first hand impression of a comparison of hard vs soft break ins on anything I've owned and all I know is the Accord ran like a champ after the rebuild but that's simply because the engine before was, well, iffy.

I don't mean this thread to turn into a war between the sides so leave a reply with which method you used and what your impressions were. This is meant to more or less feed my curiosity so poll away!

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
I don't treat them any special way, I just ride them. That would be considered "hard" by most I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I bought my bike with 1 mile on the clock, rode it home at a brisk pace, changed the oil & filter within 20 miles, then did what is considered the hard break in method for about 30 miles, changed oil & filter again, then again at 300, now it's just whenever the shifts feel rough or the oil looks discolored in that sight window.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I bought my RR new from the dealer with about 8miles IIRC. Followed the factory recommendation; nothing over 8k rpm the first 600-1000miles and but varied the rpm's during riding.

Worked well for me when I sold it with 33k miles on the clock and rode like it was brand new =].

I always recommend people to do the factory-recommend break-in for best results in the long run. If you do the hard break-in, that's up to you. (I'd like to hear someone who bought a brand new bike do the hard method and report how it runs after 30k+ miles)

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
I bought my bike with 1 mile on the clock, rode it home at a brisk pace, changed the oil & filter within 20 miles, then did what is considered the hard break in method for about 30 miles, changed oil & filter again, then again at 300, now it's just whenever the shifts feel rough or the oil looks discolored in that sight window.

You did 3 oil changes in 300 miles? Jeez.

Just ride it the way you're always going to ride it.

All these bikes have been on the dyno at the factory, at WOT and redline. They don't sell engines that aren't proven to produce power within factory spec. Thinking you'll wreck something because you revved it is foolish.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
If it weren't for injuries and having to hide it from my parents I'd probably have racked up something close to that, but I am equally interested to see how long it lasts compared to the recommended factory break-in...since I bought mine my tastes in bikes have changed and I'd rather buy something that's pretty much ready to go instead of modding it like I did mine...it was fun and all, but the time I spent doing that I could've been riding.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Alright so we have at least one example that longevity doesn't seem to be affected, now let's check the other threads for power comparisons and then conclude if it really is just about a manufacturer reducing the potential liability from telling people to go WFO on/in a vehicle they 0 seat time.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And then finally put this topic 6' under.
You seem to have slightly missed the point of this thread. I'm not interested in what's better or worse and starting a war; just the amount of people that did it each way and their experiences. I've had these debates before and not once had it settle or maintain some semblance of civility.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
You seem to have slightly missed the point of this thread. I'm not interested in what's better or worse and starting a war; just the amount of people that did it each way and their experiences. I've had these debates before and not once had it settle or maintain some semblance of civility.
Oh...I guess I did then. Well to be honest with you I doubt real, actual numbers will ever be known because of 2 reasons: 1) When bikes change hands the details like I mentioned regarding how I did mine probably wouldn't be documented so when bikes change hands the only person that might know is the original owner which assumes they remember. 2) Variances in each individual's "hard break-in" method like if they changed the oil as often as I did in the beginning or not, etc.

If you do find a reliable answer to this question please let me know as I'm curious as to those numbers also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts