Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2005 Tribal back together from having my swingarm, engine covers and misc. powdercoated. I got it back together and the bike clicks but won't turn over. I followed the troubleshooting chart in the service manual and it leads me to the question of Does the starter relay click when the starter button is pressed? answer is YES it does, it says to connect direct power to starter to see if it turns over. Does it turn over? If yes check either starter connections or starter switch. if no faulty starter. I just replaced the battery with a brand new Honda/Yuasa OEM battery while apart due to it not holding a charge. all the fuses are good, I am racking my brain over this so does anyone have a clue or had a similar situation?

·
Registered
540 Posts
hold the started a bit w/ throttle wide open... old gas...? really dirty oil puts drag on the engine too.... oil like 20w50 is thick when it's cold....

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
silverbullet2005 said:
I just got my 2005 Tribal back together from having my swingarm, engine covers and misc. powdercoated. I got it back together and the bike clicks but won't turn over. I followed the troubleshooting chart in the service manual and it leads me to the question of Does the starter relay click when the starter button is pressed? answer is YES it does, it says to connect direct power to starter to see if it turns over. Does it turn over? If yes check either starter connections or starter switch. if no faulty starter. I just replaced the battery with a brand new Honda/Yuasa OEM battery while apart due to it not holding a charge. all the fuses are good, I am racking my brain over this so does anyone have a clue or had a similar situation?
You have it outside in a shed right? What weight of oil are you using?
I tried starting mine and I had to turn on the heat in my workshop for a little while.. just soo the oil wasn't is thick, I know in ohio its been in the teen's at night..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's out in the shed and I just put fresh MX4T 10w40 in, I don't know what holding the throttle open would do for it cuz it won't even turn over. the starter relay just clicks but the battery is brand new and has a full charge. it won't even do anything when I put a charger on it and try to start it. could it still be the battery even though it has a charge?

·
Registered
61 Posts
possibly, everything worked on mine ok, lights, display but when i tried to start it i just got the clicking sound because the battery just didnt have enough power to start the bike

·
Registered
540 Posts
ah, i didn't realize it wasn't turning... (even tho u stated that clearly, doh)...

did you try applying power (battery charger on 12v6a?) to the starter like the manual says?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a strong feeling that it is your battery. Try charging it again because mine dose the same thing if the battery is to week. Take your battery to the dealer and get them to test it they should do it for free.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK thanks guys but I finally found the problem.

I removed the ram air covers, tank cover and suspended the fuel tank from the sheds rafters and gained acces to the starter solenoid. I applied power from my battery charger directly to the starter positive post and to the bikes ground to find the starter would not even turn over but I could feel with my hand that it was clicking which tells me that the starter is getting power but won't turn so it must be binding up. I removed the clutch cover and found that I put the wave washer and solid washer on the starter shaft instead of the idler shaft right next to it so when I put the cover on it was binding the starter. I put it all back together minus the mid and lower fairings and it fired right up, my buddies matt (GSXR600) and Brett (R6) came over and we took them for a short ride and it seems to run good so I am once again happy. now I just need to clean all the fairings before I put them on and then clean the bike really good and then take some pictures to post on here of all the new mods.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
congrats man on sticking with it and not giving up
your hard work and patience paid off :five:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dxh13 said:
rawk.... another shade-tree mechanic is born...
That's what's funny cuz I am an automotive engineering technician and I did this, but in my defense it was the first time doing anything like this to a sportbike. my bad!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts