Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya,

I have a 06 600rr with about 8k miles.

I've noticed recently that whenever I brake hard, the bike makes clunking noises then the engine gives out. I will have to start the bike back up after coming to a stop. The bike starts back up without any issues. I brake with both brakes. Has anybody else had this issue? Is this normal?

CaliRyder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I should've mentioned that. I don't pull in the clutch but, I feel like its sporadic. I usually never pull in the clutch, but at times the bike dies, but other times the bike doesnt. So I assumed that the issue wasnt engine stalling from low RPM. It could be that those times when the engine dies, Im at a really high gear? I haven't kept not of this so I will next time.

Also, should I be pulling in the clutch every time I break hard? I dont because I thought that engine braking might help with the stopping.

thx there..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should note that engine dies before coming to a complete stop and that I do pull in the clutch before coming to a complete stop... that is for those instances when the engine is still running.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
really, dude, you are stalling the motor, you need to pull in the clutch

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
scary scary when people are riding sportbikes and do not understand HOW TO RIDE a motorcycle...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
really, dude, you are stalling the motor, you need to pull in the clutch
Yes sir. When you dont pull in the clutch, your engine is still driving the wheel. When you hold the brake, your going against your engine, stalling it out.

Just do what suuscbr said, hold it in at 7. Be safe and do 10.

·
Registered
242 Posts
if you didn't realize you were stalling out the bike...makes me wonder if you think the bike stands on its own when you come to a light.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow........

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
real brakes > engine braking.

engine braking is great under normal circumstances, but in a quick stop situation just rely on your dual front discs to do what they are supposed to do and stop the bike, not the engine.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
real brakes > engine braking.

engine braking is great under normal circumstances, but in a quick stop situation just rely on your dual front discs to do what they are supposed to do and stop the bike, not the engine.
you shouldnt give people advice to only use the front brakes...thats not water tight advice IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
you shouldnt give people advice to only use the front brakes...thats not water tight advice IMO.

Amen to that,

Your rear brake will help to slow the forward momentum from the tire and drive line,

use both brakes, evenly, and down shift while braking learning to blip will help to make the down shifts smoother,

MSF course for you bro!!!!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
yea msf says to use both, but ive always used both brakes... call me crazy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry for the the thread jacking but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right when I stop weather it's hard or not I will hit the brakes I also use both but mainly the front hardly tap the back down shift to about 5-3k rpms then down shift and so on till I get to first is this the right way or can I do something better safer and not to stress the engine? and yes I do use the clutch when I shift down.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry for the the thread jacking but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right when I stop weather it's hard or not I will hit the brakes I also use both but mainly the front hardly tap the back down shift to about 5-3k rpms then down shift and so on till I get to first is this the right way or can I do something better safer and not to stress the engine? and yes I do use the clutch when I shift down.
If you're not sure use your brakes for slowing down not your gearbox. Brakes are alot cheaper to replace than your gears and gearbox.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
my bad i worded that poorly.

I wasn't saying JUST use the front brake, I was just saying the front brake provides more stopping power then anything else so rely on that (as well as the back brake). I should have been more clear with what i was saying.

IMO quick shifts down can be sketchy unless you have a slipper clutch. Last thing I want to do when im screaming to a stop is lock up my rear tire even if its just for a second. I'd much rather rely on my brakes to stop me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts