Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

This is my first post and after looking at a couple of the threads on here, there are some really, really cool people here willing to help one another with important advice.

I'm also a new rider and bought my first used bike about two months ago; a 2011 CBR600rr w/ 7900 miles on the odo at the time of purchase. Really clean, owner stuck to the maintenance intervals, and its never been dropped. The bike came with frame sliders and a couple other things. One day after riding I noticed that one of my frame sliders was missing. I ordered a pair of "Woodcraft" sliders to replace them and I noticed the ones that were on the bike must have been cheap, chinese made (no QA) sliders. Anyways, I got my new frame sliders, and when installing them I noticed they were ridiculously hard to install (beyond the manufacturer 40 ft lb torque spec). Took a quick look and the threads on the cheapo sliders stripped the aluminum block threads on the engine mount because they were M12 x 1.75 not M12 x 1.25. Also the previous owner did not have the aluminum collar spacers on to separate the engine from the frame. Just having shelled out $6k + you can imagine I am pretty pissed. :banghead:

In order to fix the issue I ordered a Heilicoil kit (M12 x 1.25), Loctite Red, collar spacers from Honda, and a radiator stay arm that previously snapped off (connects bottom of radiator to engine casing). If you look at the pictures below, 1 - Top Engine Mount, 2 - Front Engine Mount (Stripped), 3 - Bottom Engine Mount. In order to do the Heilicoil, I need to move the engine out of the way of the frame mount point to get to the engine block. I am trying to avoid having to drop the engine out; so has anyone or know anyone that has been able to possibly remove support to two mounting points (1 & 2 in the picture) and pivot the engine on mount point 3? OR does anyone know of any other solutions?

Right side:
https://postimg.org/image/885pvpd5b/
Left side:
https://postimg.org/image/6ugy75b93/

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Maybe possible to salvage?

IF threads not ravaged down entire length????

Try chasing threads first with a correct size tap?????

Use lots of oil....flush hole every backturn....and make sure tap is straight as it starts to cut/chase threads.....

GL!

also ask wibbly OTF...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a guy bring one into the shop with the same problem. I just ran a tap through it a few times and the new slider went in without a problem.. Make sure you lift up on the engine slightly while installing the new bolt, its super easy to get cross threaded and recreate your whole problem. I don't know how gone the threads are but I would try that before dropping the motor..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply man. I will try to use a tap first to see if i can just clean out the crap thats in the threads already. If not I will go with a Heilicoil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts