Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
what rpm is that @ where it was making it. other than that slight rattling, it sounded like an exhaust leak. if your refering to the rattle, if its b/w 5-6k, its a possible CCT

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had looked around some and saw a few other threads on it but couldn't really pin it down. The 06 has an automatic CCT I believe, will it still sound like all the time and should I worry about it and replace with manual CCT?

The sound that worries me is more at idle. On the exhaust part where would I start trying to pin down where that would be at if it was leaking, as it has gotten a bit louder it seems coming from the engines when @ high RPM's.

Also sweet tits you guys are fast. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
How many miles on it? Also if it is exhaust, start the bike and grap a freind. have them cover the exhaust to restrict it. Not enough to stall the bike, but to dampen the sounds and force more exhaust out of anywhere it may be leaking. Do it with the bike cold so you can get your hand in and around the exhaust to feel and hear anything.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yea I do believe it is automatic and so is mine however if it works how I think it does (like a serpentine belt tensioner on a car) the spring will wear out causing it to be loose and make noise.
Not 100% sure about this though. I've never taken mine apart.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stellar idea! Will do that tomorrow for the exhaust thing.

For mileage it's at 19,900. Checked the valves at roughly 16,300 and all were within spec. 6 of them were getting pretty close to being out of spec though.

edit: Ahh thanks, I had the [ youtube] but put in the full link.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
your on the right track on how the CCT fails. It does wear out thus allowing it to have excess slack in the timing chain. i have 29k on her now with the origional CCT on. I will be changing it to the APE manual CCT very soon.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
your on the right track on how the CCT fails. It does wear out thus allowing it to have excess slack in the timing chain. i have 29k on her now with the origional CCT on. I will be changing it to the APE manual CCT very soon.

If you can post up a how-to, it would help me greatly. Mine is at 31K and still running.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can post up a how-to, it would help me greatly. Mine is at 31K and still running.
How to on APE CCT replacement with pictures...

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=135386&highlight=CCT

Also so on the CCT thing, for those who haven't done the APE replacement, does yours sound about the same? Just wondering how much noise I should worry about. Also don't want to grenade the engine or anything.

/learning how to work on motorcycles still.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prognosis, slight cam chain rattle. Probably normal with the amount of miles I have on it as well as I just switched from a heavier oil to a thinner oil. Noise tends to go away at higher RPM's as well.

Going to slap the plastics back on her and probably do the APE thing when I do the next service. Checked for exhaust leaks and seem to be all good there as well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just switched from a heavier oil to a thinner oil.

what oil did you have in it before? and how long., what weight did you go to?

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
roughly 3500 to 4k it was the white bottle too not blue bottle which has friction restrictors I think? Something like that. Didn't know that till I was changing the oil though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
roughly 3500 to 4k it was the white bottle too not blue bottle which has friction restrictors I think? Something like that. Didn't know that till I was changing the oil though.

what made you go with 20w?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts