Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about a little over two months ago I joined the forums to look for places to repair my wrecked bike.

Anyhow. Last week I finally up and turned her over.
Excitingly enough, she started on the first attempt.
I let her run for about 5 minutes, made sure there was nothing wrong with lubrication(since I had to replace the oil pan) and then turned it off.
I went back a few hours later, and started it up again. Not a problem.
Left it running for about 20 - 25 minutes and ran smoothly at idle for the entire time.

When my father returned home about 30 minutes after I turned it off, I started it up again, without a problem in sight. Let her run for a couple minutes and shut her off.

NOW. Two days passed. No time at all to even look at the bike honestly.
I go to the garage, re-attach the battery and attempt to start.
It sounds like its about to, and but it just doesn't. It works hard to start, but never does. I charged the battery just in case. Checked fuses.

What is the issue? Does anyone have a clue? I'm quite possitive its getting spark and I'll know for sure tomorrow when I get a little time to actually get into the garage and take a look at it.

Can any of you point me in any sort of direction?
Thanks in advance. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Bad gas....How long have you had that gas in the tank? I just went through the same thing with a friends RR. I checked EVERYTHING under the sun. Finally dumped the tank and put fresh gas in....fired right up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long was his bike not started.

Mine wasn't started for a little under two months. Full tank of gas.
I don't want to shut out your advice, but I honestly don't think its a problem with the gasoline.
Thank you anyhow, because I'm changing it tomorrow now.

:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Try working the throttle abit while trying to start it.
i know my bike doesn't like to be idled and shut down again.
Its worked for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can hear it thump a little when the throttle is twisted.

If that makes sense to you.

<x>I'm going along the lines of a pinches gas line right now honestly.</x>
Anyone else have an idea though.
Thanks.

No clue. :(

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
did you check all your fuses. It sounds like you are not getting enough gas into the combustion chambers. This could happen if your fuel pump is not running. Check the fuel pump fuse and the fuel shutoff switch which is in the front of the bike.

edit-- The switch that shuts the fuel off if you wreck. Not the one you turn the fuel off with.

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
Does it spin fast like it normally turns over, or does it just lug when its turned over? Is it an 03' with charging problems? Start with the eisiest things first and go from there. Check the battery voltage. Replace the gas with fresh. Actually pull the plugs and check for fouling and spark.. Its probably something simple.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
did you have to do anything to the timing? if the chain wasn't tight enough it might have skipped a tooth or somethen. these bikes don't have a whole lot of tolerance in the timing so if it's not dead on it'll run real rough or not fire at all... the throttle thump sounds like it it's just the lever for the throttle bodies returning to the stop. maybe tweak ur idle screw a little.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test the battery?

I've it completely charged.
The lights go on when i turn the key. The bike is functioning properly, besides the fuel pump.

For instance. When you turn your key into the on position, you hear your pump go on right?
I do not.

But I've connected the pump directly to the battery and I know its fully capable of functioning.

Now. Relays have all been checked, and all are fine.
Fuses, all checked, and fine.

Anyone wanna trouble shoot this one? It's pretty retarded If you ask me.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
talwin said:
Test the battery?

The lights go on when i turn the key. The bike is functioning properly, besides the fuel pump.

For instance. When you turn your key into the on position, you hear your pump go on right?
I do not.

But I've connected the pump directly to the battery and I know its fully capable of functioning.

Ok. So what about your Engine Stop Switch...

Did you check your 20a(PGM-FI) fuse by the battery?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
talwin said:
Test the battery?

I do not.

OK, there is a fuel shutoff switch in the front of the bike between the headlights I think. Check to make sure it did not go bad or come unplugged. It is made to shut off the fuel pump whenever you lay the bike down.

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
Bad bank angle sensor? Check it, it is the one between the headligts.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you haven't changed anything since the last time it actually started, make sure it cranks good and fast and keep the throttle aaaaal the way open untill it startsThis subject has come up in the past and has happened to me. If it starts up and the exhaust smells alot like fuel, you may consider to change the oil again.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
talwin said:
How would I check the bank angle sensor?
Did you try to crank it with a WOT yet? I forgot about that one. But if you had dropped the bike I would think that it would have reset after you took the battery cables off.

Check all of your PIN connectors while you're there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fixed.

Thanks for all the help.
The solution was the stupidest of things.
I mounted the bank angle sensor upside down when taking the headlights out of the plastics. :( I'm pretarded.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
talwin said:
Fixed.

Thanks for all the help.
The solution was the stupidest of things.
I mounted the bank angle sensor upside down when taking the headlights out of the plastics. :( I'm pretarded.
Did you tell us in the beginning that you had the front off? Nooooo. It helps when you give us ALL the information.

That's not uncommon for it to get mounted upside down. Glad you figured it out anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts