Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Need some thoughts here. I was riding today morning after I got my regular service done yesterday, changed the engine oil with filter together. The mechanic did some checked after the oil services done and nothing wrong with it. Oil level was suffice at upper level, or he poured in 2.8 litre according to the manual.
But on today morning, after riding bout 2km, there was this rattle noise when the rpm hit above 5k, identical to the youtube sound below.
The noise came from directly below the tank, (I think).

What the hell is going on here. I read a few comments about this issue and it is all pointing to CCT and worse engine rebuild. Btw, The bike have no white smoke and idle fine. Could it be relay because the mechanic changed the fan relay slight higher amphere with it (OEM relay 12v 20A, my new relay 12v 30A).
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
that sounds more like a clutch issue than the CCT. the CCT is more of a buzzing noise at a certain rpm, I could be wrong though so hopefully someone else will chime in.

you can always change the CCT just for peace of mind, they have a habit of going bad & the buzzing noise at 5k rpm will drive you crazy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for replying, I also think it is CCT, but cannot be sure. I dont want to send to the stealership yet as that guy said it might be a valve, piston scratch issue. He didnt mention about CCT. I will shoot a video later and upload it.

Ok Here is the bike sound, and rattling noise I am talking bout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad2HEOIldxU&feature=youtu.be

Close up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skr_HJQ0sVg&feature=youtu.be

Alright guys, let me know what do you all think.

Feeling Sad, sob sob : (

·
Registered
860 Posts
CCT will make noise on a closing throttle, not opening.

Valve, piston scratch whatever that is? Sounds like bollocks to me.

Why was the relay changed? That isn't your problem here btw, just interested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the fan relay which need to change recently. After that fan works fine. If this is not a CCT problem, then what is the problem ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More details, I changed the engine oil from semi synthetic (BellRay the brand from previous owner if I not mistaken) to Maxima 10-40W fully synthetic 4 with Honda oil filter. 2.8 litre oil, checked again before I went home yesterday. And today, the sound came in when I rev above 5k rpm. I dont dare to rev it to red line.

Can I still ride it to mechanic shop which located 45km away ?

·
Registered
860 Posts
does the noise change when you pull the clutch in? if so - clutch rattle.

rev it 8k or so and snap the throttle shut. camchain rattle is most obvious then as the revs drop.

to be honest it's hard to diagnose like this. me - I'd just ride the bloody thing. the likelihood of it being serious is so small it's not worth worrying about. your mechanic already told you there's nothing wrong so stop worrying about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the noise still the same after the clutch is pull. It only rattle when I rev up, nothing on rev drop.. The mechanic still didnt know about the problem yet it was all good when I leave the shop, gonna ride it to that shop again. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
860 Posts
aha... ok. could well be camchain noise. I just went out and ran mine to remind me what it sounded like............. riding it to the shop will be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, I am thinking about engine oil, but Maxima fully synthetic 10-40w is a good oil.... idk, pretty messed up now. I will take it to the shop tmr.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, went to the mechanic and fix the issue. Its 100% CCT:
Parts he checked in order
1.the frame bolts
2.clutch plates
3.CCT
After replace with a new CCT, OEM part # 14520-MEL-003 (its a CBR1k RR CCT), the rattle sound disappear in all rev to red line. No more rattling noise. He also recommend me to use "thicker" oil, such as 10-50W due to our country climate, its constantly hot here. Bike now runs like new after another engine oil changed.
According to that mechanic, CBR1k RR CCT is better choice than usual 600RR CCT due to higher watts for that CCT, and more durable compare to 600RR CCT. Alright, time to ride.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forget that, bottom line it should be more durable according to him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts