Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i understand, these are the hoses that hangs on the side of the kickstand. But i have a couple more questions:

There are 2 of them which ends right where the kick stand is....are these the gas and evap hoses? I ask because today, when i came out from work (HOT day), i noticed what seems to be engine oil dripping out from one of the (bigger hose). The bike has been parked the entire day. Don't know if this is normal. I checked my oil and it seems to be fine. Is this normal?

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
Your WRONG idiot... No, i have no idea,Just playin. but seriously on a real hot day i've noticed the same thing, i was worried about it but parked in the shade the next day and it didn't happen, so i just brusehd it off as overflowing from being so hot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys. But is it normal to have engine oil dripping out from one of them when it's a real hot day?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are you SURE it's oil? I've seen thick milky discharges (not an STD) from the battery vent on bikes with regulator problems. As it boils off the electrolite in the battery it runs down the vent and recondenses into a thick whitish fluid.

If it is oil then you have a VERY BIG problem!!! The only way for oil to enter any of those tubes is through the coolant. That translates into a blown head gasket.

Now on the good side If it were oil it would be leaking into the oil all the time the engine is running. It would either have to leak alot (at least half a quart) to force it out the overflow, or your bike would have to get soo hot that it boiled coolant. If your head gasket were blown that bad it would probably be leaking coolant into the head also and you would have an $8000 white smoke machine.

Check your oil and coolant levels. If they are fine I would look to the battery/Regulator. I don't know what year your bike is, but the '03s had a problem with the regulator getting hot, which could lead to battery problems. You may also want to check your oil filter. It's possible it's loose and blowing oil back on the motor and running down the outside of a tube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since i dont have an RR yet i cant tell you exaclty what those hoses are.
On my Air cooled bike the big tube is a Crankcase breather vent, which im sure the RR has as well, the motor cant be totally sealed. That tube always has oil in it all the time, and on a hot day i have seen it drip out a bit, not much but a couple of drops.
My dirtbike also has the same tube, always oil in that one as well. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
jtworldwide2 said:
On my Air cooled bike the big tube is a Crankcase breather vent, which im sure the RR has as well, the motor cant be totally sealed.
You are right the motor can not be totally sealed, but due to EPA regulations it can't vent to the outside either. On all street legal 4 stroke motors the crankcase vents into the engine intake. The RR vents into the airbox and reburns all crankcase emissions. Ever hear of a PCV valve on a car?

Page 6-66 of the manual shows this and I've attached the pic.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts