Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ninja250: Long story short, on my way to work my shift lever came undone (nothing broken). I was in a rush to get to work and so accidentally install the shifter backwards giving me a GP shift. No problem...just have to remember 1 up 5 down.

After a week or so, I kept forgetting to change the shifter back. Well, last night I started from 1st, shift to 2nd, increased speed to 40 or 45mph and accidentally shifted up to 1st. The bike abruptly started to buck and slide--the front started sliding right, and the rear started to slide to the left.

It freaked me out! I immediately pulled the clutch in and waited for the bike to settle down from it's violent shake/slide.

It was the weirdest thing I've experienced. How one mishap, riding straight, could completely unsettled the bike and cause it to go into a craze buck and slide. I could understand a heavy jerk but that was insane!

Anyone else make this mistake or experience this?

·
Registered
780 Posts
It's happened to me quite a bit so I'm rather used to it now. When getting off the freeway, I won't touch my brakes and downshift pretty quickly all they way down to 3, blip 2 (hard engine braking), and blip 1 (very hard engine braking). Sometimes if I don't blip it perfectly, it just hit 1 pretty hard and back slides in opposite direction from front. At first it freaked me out but now it just seems normal. I wouldn't squeeze the clutch though cuz you might cause forward momentum (possibly enough) to slide it out even further.

·
C.F.A. member **New Joyzeeeeeee Racer YAAAA BOY
1,726 Posts
Happened to me once or twice. Now I do it sometimes for fun, lock up and break the rear loose.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's happened to me quite a bit so I'm rather used to it now. When getting off the freeway, I won't touch my brakes and downshift pretty quickly all they way down to 3, blip 2 (hard engine braking), and blip 1 (very hard engine braking). Sometimes if I don't blip it perfectly, it just hit 1 pretty hard and back slides in opposite direction from front. At first it freaked me out but now it just seems normal. I wouldn't squeeze the clutch though cuz you might cause forward momentum (possibly enough) to slide it out even further.
So, is that how you back it in? I've never backed it in before.

Happened to me once or twice. Now I do it sometimes for fun, lock up and break the rear loose.
Are you talking about locking the rear brakes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ninja250:

After a week or so, I kept forgetting to change the shifter back. Well, last night I started from 1st, shift to 2nd, increased speed to 40 or 45mph and accidentally shifted up to 1st. The bike abruptly started to buck and slide--the front started sliding right, and the rear started to slide to the left.

Anyone else make this mistake or experience this?
Ah the wonders of 250. I experienced this when I attended the track for the first time at Thunderhill. The front straight is about quarter mile and goes on for days. You can get to sixth gear on 250 and top out at about 95mph. But after the straight there is a left hander. If you have been to track a couple of times, you wouldn't flinch and just dip in and go. But being a newbie, I brake and drop to 3rd gear all in one single motion. Well, the rear wheel kind of locks up and releases throwing a violent motion (buck and slide that you described) on your suspension, which is really really really bad. Basically you lose traction for a wee bit, enough to make your bike unstable. And you can blame most of it on the suspension and a little bit on lack of slipper clutch.

Well the only way to prevent it (at least this is how I avoided it) is to rev up while down shifting. Of course I am not an expert and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Why did the front start sliding?

I actually had the rear lock up the other day from downshifting and not rev matching but the front didn't budge.

Backing it in is when the rear slides so you get the bike sideways in the direction of the turn and then the rear hooks up and you are already turned in. I'm pretty sure the front isn't suppose to slide... maybe it just felt like it was sliding? Not doubting you I'm just very confused as to what happened with your bike.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Why did the front start sliding?

I actually had the rear lock up the other day from downshifting and not rev matching but the front didn't budge.

Backing it in is when the rear slides so you get the bike sideways in the direction of the turn and then the rear hooks up and you are already turned in. I'm pretty sure the front isn't suppose to slide... maybe it just felt like it was sliding? Not doubting you I'm just very confused as to what happened with your bike.
The front basically stays straight but the rear slides out a bit (causing a slight wobble). I think it may be cause of the hard down shift and engine braking causes the rear tire to mometarily sharply decrease spin speed. I'm not a tracker/racer so I don't know how to "back it in" but from watching race clips, the slide occurs from the rear spinning faster than the front when biek is tilted. The questions is, how do they initiate the spin?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The front basically stays straight but the rear slides out a bit (causing a slight wobble). I think it may be cause of the hard down shift and engine braking causes the rear tire to mometarily sharply decrease spin speed. I'm not a tracker/racer so I don't know how to "back it in" but from watching race clips, the slide occurs from the rear spinning faster than the front when biek is tilted. The questions is, how do they initiate the spin?
No, I"m not asking how they back it in... If you watch you'll see that they back it in by braking hard. The rear even lifts sometimes and then you'll see the rear lose traction and start weaving back and forth. They slide it out in the right direction, start the turn release the brake (or vice versa, not a racer either) this allows the rear to gain traction but does cause a high side since the bike is already turning.

What I"m confused about is why the front slides the other way... I don't understand in terms of physics or magic lol. I'm wondering if the front really slides or just feels like it is sliding because he is basing the fronts position on the rears??? I uno I'm guessing... like I said I'm confused.

·
C.F.A. member **New Joyzeeeeeee Racer YAAAA BOY
1,726 Posts
So, is that how you back it in? I've never backed it in before.

Are you talking about locking the rear brakes?
Usally just downshift to first on heavy decel and have the back skid a little. But sometimes I play with the rear brake not too much though. I leave the fun stuff to IO-Bot, lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I know the feeling you guys are describing...the squirley feeling when you downshift at high revs and the back end is moving back and forth. The reason it does that is because you are not matching the revs perfectly. The more the back end is moving, the harder the tire/engine are working to bring the 2 to the same speed. Thats why that happens.

Backing it in is completely different. As someone mentioned earlier, backing it in comes from HARD HARD HARD braking. The back end gets light and wants to "come around". You use your legs and core to push the bike to the outside of the turn to get the bike pointed in toward the turn. Some racers use their rear brake to get the back end moving, others don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts