Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has kneedragged on theri ex250. I"m sure someone has, i'm just tryig to figure out how wrong my form is. Sunday afternoon i was riding down a familiar road (3-4 times a week for the past month or so) that has a really nice uphill right hander. Went in too fast (i was testing the "you can always lean more than you think" theory) and leaned it way over...too far in fact, cuz the peg hit, put me into a wobble and threw me over the bars. i got some rash on my hand and knee (outside knee, so no i dind't drag). I was off the bike quite far and while my form isn't perfect I believed it to be decent. I'm just looking for an experienced view on the bike. Please keep comments about kneedragging and riding hard on streets to a minimum, but if you must say something then you must I guess.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't know man. I just happened to trade bikes with a friend of mine for a couple hours the other day cause she said it felt funny in the turns.
I fiddled with the suspension for a while and I am convinced you have no business leaning it "way over".
Man my RR felt sooooooooooo nice after that. Her’s is a lil older…94 I think

I’m not basing ya or the bike, apparently there is a bunch you can do. Check this
http://www.ninja250.info/
good luck

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You can do it...you gotta hang off more and lead with your upper body (i.e. head and shoulders). Good luck, be careful.

Take it to the track.

·
Registered
807 Posts
when i had mine i was too afraid to lean it that far..it always felt on the verdge of completely letting loose. im 220 lbs too so i always thought that i was too big for the bike, but the real thing i believe is that i am still beginning and need more practice. but now i do that on my 600rr

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
never tried it... wanted to take it to the canyons but the suspension is just too soft for me and didnt want to take the risk...
but... this past trackday, i saw a yellow ex250 at the track... he/she was in the novice group so i really didnt see how he/she did...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the bike back today, and the peg doesn't have any scratches that weren't already there...so i'm not sure that's what happened. And you're right, i don't relaly have any business getting way over, and I shoudl take it to the track, but i don't have the money to spend and it's too fun. Teenage irrationality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Back in the day

when I had my EX250 12 years ago, I had to remove about 3/4 of an inch off each side of the pegs to go low enough to drag the knee at our local track (ShannonVille). The first time I went on the track , I was draging everything, both pegs,side stand and stock exhuast, but that was long time ago and back then all they had for good tires were COMP-S tires from Metzeler in a 120 rear !!!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You sure you didnt hit an irregularity in the road? my gs500 could get leaned way over but the stock suspension was crap. even after I upgraded it a bunch the bike would wobble a bit in turns if they werent super smooth.

its possible you hit a bump that upset the suspension.

This is me on my gs500 on Latigo Canyon in SoCal, I had been riding for about 8 months when this was taken [no, I wasnt in over my head]. This is with upgraded suspension and good tires.

http://home.comcast.net/~williamethan/suz/pablo.wmv

·
Registered
134 Posts
go get you a copy of Kieth codes twist of the wrist 2 .READ IT HEED IT .it'll be the best investment you ever made..and soon you'll be backin' 'er in the corners! :bounce:

·
Registered
484 Posts
there is really no way for us to know what happened, but like others have mentioned, the stock suspension on that bike is way too soft to be knee dragging. if you've taken that bike in stock form far enough to drag a knee, you've taken it too far. i'm only 120 lbs, and i could feel the rear wobbling out in spirited riding. i wouldn't try anything like that again until you've upgraded the rear at least.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
laubinero said:
go get you a copy of Kieth codes twist of the wrist 2 .READ IT HEED IT .it'll be the best investment you ever made..and soon you'll be backin' 'er in the corners! :bounce:
i picked up both a few days before the accident, actually, i'll be reading them in the comming days seeing as how i'll have alot of free time and no bike to ride (out of town).

Thanks for the info guys =)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just rode an '86 EX 250 at Thunderhill and was able to drag pegs, boots, and knees on stock suspension (I weigh 215 with gear). I was riding with someone that races 250's in AFM and he says the bumpy unstable feeling is just part of riding 250's. If you just stay relaxed on the bike though the bumps it will make it (same with all bikes). You have to let the suspension do it thing with as little input from you as possible.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Carey322 said:
I just rode an '86 EX 250 at Thunderhill and was able to drag pegs, boots, and knees on stock suspension (I weigh 215 with gear). I was riding with someone that races 250's in AFM and he says the bumpy unstable feeling is just part of riding 250's. If you just stay relaxed on the bike though the bumps it will make it (same with all bikes). You have to let the suspension do it thing with as little input from you as possible.
the reason to upgrade the suspension on the ex250 specifically is that the stock suspension is easy to bottom out under heavy maneuvers and just does not provide a good degree of feedback. i'm sure you can knee drag on the 250, but most people who race 250s are most certainly upgrading their suspensions. While I'd agree that the chattery feel is inherent to those small bikes, i wouldn't set my aspirations too high if i raced a stock ex250. even putting a ex500 rear shock makes huge differences. i did that, and the bike was downright solid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ragamuffin,

I know that upgrading suspension makes a huge difference, did it to my 600rr. The EX 250 isn't mine so I just rode it the way it was, still tons of fun. The guy I was riding with gave me some suspension tips anyways. If I had a EX 250 of my own I would definitly make suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wolfpac52 said:
Body position is the key. One cheek should be off the seat, outside knee against the tank, outside elbow on the tank against outside knee, torso leaned forward and head to the inside of the wind screen.

How the hell did you get road rash on your knee wearing leathers?
I had about half a cheek still on the seat, outside leg/knee all touching the bike, inside knee bent but i wasn't forcing it out (not trying to make my knee drag), torso towards the inside of the turn, elbows bent, head trying ot "kiss" the mirror.

I wasn't wearing leathers. I had my helmet on, i chose not to wear my jacket because it was around 90 that day, sunny and relatively humid, and i have a black jacket. I don't have riding pants, i go in jeans.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Get some Dunlop GT501's: 110/90/16 front, 130/90/16 rear. The higher profile will raise the height of the bike and these are what all the racers use.

You'll have to modify or remove the front fender in order for the bigger tire to fit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep, i believe so anyway. I'd dragged peg a few times before that without any problems, but those times i wasn't off the seat up on an uphill turn. *shrug* oh well, **** happens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I started on a ex250. Check out http://www.ninja250.info/ A cheap easy mod is to put spacers in the forks. You can drag knee on it. You can drag exhaust too haha. Everything is really low on the bike. If you dont have full leathers on you shouldnt even be thinking about trying to push the bike. Even full hanging off you'll drag those pegs like crazy, just keep the throttle rolling evenly and smoothly and you'll get out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts