Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Did the officer use excessive force on the dog?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excessive Force?? Discuss in a civil manner. Not attended to be a cop bashing thread.

Most of the time, I side with the civilian in these cases however;

IMO, the dog showed intent to harm with that final lunge and the cop acted within his rights to protect himself/others.

Owner should have taken better precaution and put him in the vehicle where he couldn't get out.

·
Maynard
7,061 Posts
Man, dog deaths wrench my heart.

The dog did show intent to harm, the cop protected himself. I just wish there woulda been another way around it.

I can't watch that again man that is terrible seeing a dog in pain like that.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sad and sickening. I can somewhat understand the cops being scared but you had to shoot it? Do cops in Cali not carry tasers? But seriously, that is not an aggressive dog, that is a dog that was trying to protect its owner...thats it. From the way he acts to start off, that dog had at least some training...he wasnt running around. the owner had control. And that dog was not seriously trying to attack the cops or he would have done it as close as he was. He was simply trying to get them away from his owner. They should have let the guy go and told him to get control of his dog first (he's in cuffs not like he can run far). I dont have audio, what did the guy even do?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
dunno. Looks like he was recording the cops and they didn't like it so they arrested him (which is illegal in this case). he wasn't interfering with their police work, simply taking a video of public employees in a public place. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he files a huge lawsuit against the PD and wins

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
The officer panicked and unfortunately reacted with his sidearm. IMO it was CLEAR the dog wasn't a threat to the officers life.

Less than 10 seconds before the officer shot the dog, the dog was sniffing the grass. That shows the dog was not in a violent state.

The officer should be reprimanded as if he had shot any other member of someones family.

The use of lethal force comes with prerequisites to which I didn't see. If the officer felt the need to, he should have tasered the dog.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Allegedly the man was asked to turn down his music in his car. (which by the audio doesn't sound as if it would be in violation of any noise ordinance. Especially during that time of day...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ok thats what it looked like but was curious. Guess things are different in Cali. If that was here the whole neighborhood would be out watching. With as much as this has been happening lately, cops obviously need to get training for dogs. I mean seriously all cops here carry pepper spray and tasers, all of which would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The officer should be reprimanded as if he had shot any other member of someones family.
Thats what I never have gotten. You kill a cop dog you get charged as if you killed a person. But a cop kills a family pet for no reason and then its just an animal and "Sorry, I felt threatened"

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
787 Posts
Why is a cop trying to capture a dog? Isn't that what animal control is for?

That would be like a cop trying to capture an alligator. They are not trained for that and shouldn't be doing it. The dog was on the bumper of the truck and couldn't go anywhere, just leave it till animal control arrives.

You didnt watch the video.. That was the OTHER dog shooting... this is a different one.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Would these comments if that was a man with a knife just out walking about and then approached them. It appeared the officer before he shot the dog tried to grab at the leash. You dont get time to decide if a taser is going to stop the threat. Ive been the "dummy" while in afghanistan for dog training. I love dogs as much as the next one. And the one thing most dogs are known for is loyalty. Yes he was all calm with the owner but got more aggressive as they were dragging the owner away. If you think you can KNOW for CERTAIN what the dog would do then I will call you a liar.

Was it justified, yes. Was there alternative measures, you dont know. Depending on the department, their escalation of force may be different. Anyone have any data on tasering dogs and effectiveness.. their skin is much thicker than ours, so do you know if the barbs would penetrate ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thats whats key in this.. reaction time.. here is a screentshot of the officer trying to get the leash and the dogs response.. I know for a fact I am not getting bit...

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Was hoping this wouldnt be posted but here's what happened since no one seems to know.

The man (being arrested) drove past a live police scene (armed robbery) with music blaring, parked his car, exited his car with his dog and began filming the cops. He was asked to turn down his music and leave, didnt, and was shouting at police officers about why there wasnt any black officers on scene. Once the live scene was over he was arrested, asked to put his dog away, which he did, however, the dog jumped out of the car and rushed to his owner.

You guys know the rest.

·
Banned
543 Posts
It's not just one person's fault here.
First, the dog owner should mind his own business and let the cops do their work. Cops do not like being filmed, period.
Second, the dog did not show any signs of aggressiveness. The shooting officer clearly got close to the dog and it was just defending itself. It was not necessary to use his gun in this situation. Cops are quick to draw their guns as they are quick to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The dog is an innocent victim as a result of stuipid human behavior.

The owner of the dog is 100% to blame here. He had no reason to stop and hassle the cops, doing so put himself and his dog in harms way.

The dog was doing what loyal dogs do and protecting his owner. The cop had to do what cops do and that's protect themselves from danger. Reasonable attempts were made to subdue the dog.

The only person to blame is the tool who took it upon himself to hassle the cops and as a result his dog suffered tremendously.

If you are committing a crime, and someone dies as a result of it (be it intentional or not), you can be charged with murder. I think the owner should be charged in the same manor he would if he killed a dog.

What a shame.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
^^^ I agree. Definitely owner's fault. I don't blame the dog at all, and I don't blame the officer either. I'm sure LEO have seen their share of results of dog attacks. Keep in mind that this is a crime scene so everyone is on a heighten state of alert. For all they know, this could have been an accomplish trying to distract them. The owner is an idiot for stopping, for creating a scene, and for putting his dog in danger.

·
Maynard
7,061 Posts
The dog is an innocent victim as a result of stuipid human behavior.

The owner of the dog is 100% to blame here. He had no reason to stop and hassle the cops, doing so put himself and his dog in harms way.

The dog was doing what loyal dogs do and protecting his owner. The cop had to do what cops do and that's protect themselves from danger. Reasonable attempts were made to subdue the dog.

The only person to blame is the tool who took it upon himself to hassle the cops and as a result his dog suffered tremendously.

If you are committing a crime, and someone dies as a result of it (be it intentional or not), you can be charged with murder. I think the owner should be charged in the same manor he would if he killed a dog.

What a shame.
Subject closed! Loyal dog to a shitty owner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 164 Posts