Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna try and write everything down, so hopefully someone can chime in on what they think is going on with my bike. It is a

2007 600RR
Full Stainless Steel Yoshimura RS-5 Carbon Fiber Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Power Commander 3 USB with the Dynojet Map from the website.

Bike currently has 30,200km I bought it used around 25,000km. the previous owner had the bike sitting in his garage for a year or maybe longer. he started the bike for me and it started good no weird ticks or sound or leaks, just the forks needed to be serviced. which it eventually got done by a shop.

Around 27,000km i did an oil change with Rotella T6 5w40 and FRAM XG6607 oil filter, along with fresh gas 91 Octane (Shell gas station)

1st concern: there's a weird smell in my airbox like oilly fumes, its not just a hint of smell its like smelly. The air filter was plenty full of dead insects! so i got that cleaned with K&N Air Filter Repair Kit. thought maybe thats what caused it. Took it for a ride a few more times maybe days in between after all the work I've done but the smell is still there, more noticeable after a long ride. The smell is the same with the oil that i drained.

2nd concern. If you check the video hopefully you guys can help me out what it might be, I got it dyno'd. The guy told me its a little bit running rich but not dangerous to keep riding. says need minor tuning. I asked about the smoke and they told me it was normal because of the gas. and i forgot what he said. But when I look at other 600RR's on youtube they dont show or give any signs of exhaust smoke. Here's the link

The smoke is happening near the high rpm or near the rev limiter range.

the second video also smoke,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no idea about the credentials of the guy who sold you the bike when he said it was just running rich, but I wouldn't take his word for it. You should do a leak down test to get more information. You might have a cylinder leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A thicker smoke is a big problem and can be caused by the engine burning coolant. This can be the result of a serious issue like a blown head gasket, a damaged cylinder head, or a cracked engine block – all of which are costly repairs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A thicker smoke is a big problem and can be caused by the engine burning coolant. This can be the result of a serious issue like a blown head gasket, a damaged cylinder head, or a cracked engine block – all of which are costly repairs.
I check my coolant level every few days after riding and haven’t noticed any coolant leaks or coolant missing from the overflow. i also checked my radiator cap and its full. I’ve changed my oil twice since i bought the bike and its not chocolate milk looking, just looks dark. And thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea about the credentials of the guy who sold you the bike when he said it was just running rich, but I wouldn't take his word for it. You should do a leak down test to get more information. You might have a cylinder leak.
Sorry, i should have clarified the guy who said it was running a lil rich was the guy in the video/dyno tuner. But now I will go ahead with a leak down test. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts