Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working out making a side exit exhaust for my 2007. I have a nice titanium slip on that ends in the exact same diameter as the link pipe; I would much rather expand the steel link pipe than do the same to the titanium slipon. This would make the junction the 'wrong way' for the gas flow, but my question is: can I use enough red permatex gasket to keep it sealed, or is this not reasonable?

My other idea was to crimp down the link pipe to fit inside the slipon, the only downside being that the slip on is already necked down at that point so I would be creating a small section of more narrow piping and I'm not sure if it will have any real effect.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that, but without being able to press the ends together with quite a bit of clamping force, exhaust gas pressure would just pour out of there. Plus the slipon needs a hard mount at that junction to support most of the weight.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Don't go the wrong way.

You are best to expand the ti, but if that's an absolute no, then shrink the other side. It WILL leak if you do a backwards slip joint

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't go the wrong way.

You are best to expand the ti, but if that's an absolute no, then shrink the other side. It WILL leak if you do a backwards slip joint
Thanks, was looking for this kind of confirmation. And also the descriptor; I didn't know what formal name that kind of junction was.

I could cut the slipon but am going to try to leave it unharmed so it's value is intact, in case I get done with everything and decide it's too loud.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
That's what I did. My slip was designed to fit inside the cat on the kawi with a lead gasket and clamp. You can do "backwards" in that case, though I don't get why kawi would do that... But no way with slip joints

1 - 6 of 6 Posts