Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode out to a local bike shop this weekend with some buddies and saw a fellow RR rider parked next to me. He had the same exhaust (Jardine RT-1 dual tip) so I struck up a conversation. But as I walked around to the back of the bike I noticed the muffler looked off-center. My strap had gone missing!

I have a TST undertail with little slits cut in them to pass the strap through. The strap bolts onto adapter plates which are bolted to the bike. The opening isn't large enough for the strap to fall through with these bolts in place so I have to assume that vibration caused BOTH bolts to loosen and fall out! Man... what are the chances?

Btw, no fault on TST's product, I'm sure I didn't snug the bolts down enough because it's a very tight squeeze in there. If you've got a similar setup, a dab of thread locker might be a good idea.

·
Registered
944 Posts
There weren't any Chics around right dude. That's not good for the team...

dudyur fuckingAvatar bro!

"Come at me bro"
" what now bitch"

So muchshit goes through my head on that picture lol

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I spoke with a rep at Jardine and apparently that metal strap costs around $20 and "won't be cheap" to ship to Canada. I never got a shipping quote ultimately as he was supposed to call me back but didn't.

Anyway, here's what I rigged up in the meantime. It works but it looks ugly. I'm thinking of plastidipping it black.

Some steel strapping ~$5 from HD

Shaped it to fit around muffler and left plenty of extra that would be trimmed later

The holes in the strapping are pretty small and I didn't have a nut and bolt that would work. So I just cut two slits in the subtray with a dremel, passed the strapping through and used a small bolt to secure it all in place. I then trimmed off a bit of excess strapping.

The end result.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man. Problem is it flexes too much. After one ride it lost it's shape and is too loose now. I need to find me a more permanent solution or just suck it up and buy the overpriced strap from Jardine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was giving chase to a guy on a Bandit 1200 a few years back and I had a super stubby CF scorpion undertail muffler on my SV. We were flying down this windy highway and I took a real sharp lean angle and the road ripped the muffler right off my bike...I wondered for about 15 miles why all of a sudden my bike sounded like a BEAST lol.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh and as a replacement, try a metal ruler or straight edge:
That's an awesome idea! Just so happens I have a couple metal rulers in the garage, including one that's long enough to wrap around the RT-1. Thanks man! Now, where did you scavenge that rubber sleeve from?

I ended up adding a bolt to my ghetto hanger to make it more rigid because the steel strapping would lose shape and the muffler would hang to one side every time I put it on the kickstand. No problems now except it looks a bit too industrial for my taste.

[edit] I just pulled out the ruler but I think I might run into the same issue with it holding it's shape due to the flexibility of the ruler and the way the it mounts to the bike (two separate ends instead of being pinched together). Still might give it a go. [/edit]

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease put something between the exhaust and the new steel straping... otherwise you will scracth that beatifull exhaust!!!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease put something between the exhaust and the new steel straping... otherwise you will scracth that beatifull exhaust!!!
I bought the exhaust used and it already had some scratches and a chip on the tip so I'm not overly concerned about it. But yea, a rubber sleeve is on my list of things to procure.

[edit] Speaking of scratches, the strapping has a flat side that has a slightly sharp edge and a rounded side that is smooth. If you ever have to do this make sure the rounded surface is on the inside. Better yet, if you have a CF muffler that doesn't get too hot you can buy the nylon coated strapping. I would have but the only colour they had was brown =(

·
Registered
142 Posts
I actually bought the bike with it like this. It's weird cause the rubber piece looks like it was made for a metal ruler lol. I would consider bicycle tire innertube or even a leather belt.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually bought the bike with it like this. It's weird cause the rubber piece looks like it was made for a metal ruler lol. I would consider bicycle tire innertube or even a leather belt.

Man that CF muffler you got is SOOO nice...
Thanks man :shakehand. Yea that rubber looks like the stock piece, what a perfect fit! For now I'm gonna leave it as-is until I get my pipe coated or I change the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts