Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just put on a Erion Slip-On on my 2005. It leaks at the connection point and I plan on fixing this tomorrow. My question is I rode the bike and it was fine with the leak until it hit 200 degrees and cut off. I didnt want to start, so I let it cool off and it started again but got to 221, and the fan came on and it stumbled and cut off again. Is this do to my exhaust leak? Also I would like to add my bike hasnt been started in 2 months, I was in Lousiana (Oil Spill). I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
exhaust leaks wouldnt cause any thing related to temps to happen

temps in the 200 - 240 degree range are perfectly normal

was the bike shutting it self off, or where you in panic?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike was shutting off itself. It was studder and then just shut off. If I am moving its doesnt cut off. I am kind of leaning toward the fact it has been on in 2 months causing this problem.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
The bike was shutting off itself. It was studder and then just shut off. If I am moving its doesnt cut off. I am kind of leaning toward the fact it has been on in 2 months causing this problem.
how old, fresh, is the fuel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel is 2 months old. I left Maryland in Aug and it was in the 90's and my bike sits outside since I dont have a garage. I just refilled her today after I installed the slip on. So I guess it could be that or the exhaust leak I am just lost.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
its not the leak, its impossible for a leak to cause the symptoms

but sounds like its having trouble running @ idle right?

imo, try a full flush on the fuel if its still doing that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. When i fueld it up tonight it only had one bar so ot was pretty empty ill rum the fuel i havenow and seeif it helps out the problem.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
exhaust leaks wouldnt cause any thing related to temps to happen
I disagree, an exhaust leak will screw with your A/F ratio, and as a result the temp the bike is running at will change.

It would take quite an exhaust leak to make the bike shut down though...

It almost sounds as if your electrical system has given up the ghost and is shutting the bike down when it comes under a higher load (such as the radiator fan)
Do you normally have the high beam on? If so then see what happens with it off, if its a loading issue the bike should keep running after the fan starts.
If you don't have the high beam on normally start the bike and see what happens when you turn it on, again if its a loading issue then the bike will stall when you turn the light on.

D

·
0 Posts
If you put in any E10 fuel, 2 months and it's gotta be contaminated with a lot of water by now. Drain the fuel out, fill it with fresh gas, and run some injector cleaner in it. Should be good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Well the first time it cut off the fan didnt even have a chance to come on. The temp got to 200 and started to sputter like it wanted to cut off. I made it home and left it running the fan came on and then the bike finally sputtered and cut off.

-Yea the fuel was from WaWa and sat for 2 months outside in the rain, heat, and cold on an almost empty tank without being started until now. I will run some fresh gas through and add fuel injector cleaner when I get off work today.

Thank you for all the help and quick responses fellas. I really do appreciate it.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
If you intend to leave it for extended periods of time it is always worth filling the tank up with a non-ethanol fuel (fuels containing ethanol are lot more hygroscopic than ones that don't) and adding some fuel stabiliser to it. Simple things to do that will save a big headache and possibly a lot of money when it comes time to ride her again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts