Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just installed my yoshi rs5 on cbr600rr '05 but i am having an exhaust leak at the connection link tail pipe and header.
Exhaust gasket is new.

I checked references twice and they are for my bike.

Here is the pictures of it, it looks like it does not fit properly.

If I move the link pipe lower, it just does not fit anymore to attach it at the chassis at the higher level.

I noticed there are two leaks when engine is cold: water coming out
I have tried moving the clamp up and down and it does not change anything.

Does anybody have an idea?

I have dismantle it few times now and can not make it fit properly :retard:

·
Registered
225 Posts
pictures...?

·
Registered
225 Posts
alright, just to be clear is this the connection from the midpipe into the cat? Also, is that a hole in your pipe I see?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it is the connection midpie to cat. Nope there is no hole, what you see is the gasket being too small fitting in the midpipe, as it was originally.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah that bracket in your second pic.. don't even need that.. I tightened mine down on the pipe and just used the strap over the can and bolted to the tail. Never had a problem. If you can do that and not have a leak that might fix your problem

·
Registered
225 Posts
1. might need to track down a new gasket. 2. Did you remove your heat shield? shouldn't matter, it just looks better. Also, they should have sent you a peel and stick replacment shield

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Heatshield removed and stick replacement shield was placed ;)

Tried what you said by not connecting the midpipe/chassis, same issue, leakage :(

By the way, at which level do you tighten the midpipe with the band?

I followed the manual:

1- I put the midpipe in the header with the new gasket
2- Attach the midpipe bolt on the chassis
3- Attach the muffler
4- I tightened midpipe/header then muffler then midpipe/chassis

Getting the midpipe pushed and tightened onto the header not far enough did damage the 3 sections cut of the midpipe for tightening and eventually gasket at the same time :(

I should eventually order a new gasket but how can i fix my midpipe tightening sections? Instead of being round down there it is a bit oval and new gasket might not get in anymore...

Leaving the leaks:
will it lose in performance? will it make any damage?

·
Registered
225 Posts
can you feel the exhaust blowing from where your leak is? or is it just water? stupid question i know, just wondering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The midpipe is cut in three sections for tightening.
At two points of these sections water is coming out.

If i put a tissue around midepipe/header, the noise is clearly different as I can hear a leak without the tissue.

It is difficult to feel it by hand....

·
Registered
455 Posts
use gasket maker... that's what i did... there was leakage after using the gasket maker but i just applied some more to the spots i missed until i finally got everything sealed up... gasket maker comes right off since it's silicone based so you won't have to worry about changing out your exhaust headers or whatever

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi TSY32

Thanks for the advice.
Did you also change your gasket for a new one.

Did you apply the silicone everywhere then put the gasket and tightened or did you put the silicone over the band and pipes after tightening?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I installed my rs-5 a month ago, but I had the same situation as you. Your exhaust is suppose to go a little more down onto the header pipe. If you have problems with it going down just bend the pipe a tad bit for it to fit around it. Then I bought hose clamps from home depot and used those and also the clamp that came with my yoshi. That solved my exhaust leak.

·
Registered
225 Posts
BTW I didn't use any gasket.
Yep, never used a gasket with mine either. Just slid right on nice and smooth, a quick clamp and she was on there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks all for the advice.

No gasket? Ican try without it but i am gonna have a huge gap I am pretty sure.
The gasket is about 30 mmm thick, I ll try that.

Baozer, any picture how you did it? Did you actually attach it to the upper bolt on the chassis also or did you leave it only attach by the muffler and the big band?

I am gonna add an other clamp also than the original one...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same happened to me. My oem Honda clamp was to big a didn't fully tighten the Yoshi pipe. Got a smaller clamp which done up a lot tighter and it solved the problem straight away. 6 months later still no issues...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It has been a while, but my 05 came with the Yoshi which I later traded for OEM.

The Yoshi used a different, much thicker gasket; the stock pipe used a thinner gasket that was permanently attached to the OEM slip on. If I recall correctly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
thanks all for the advice.

No gasket? Ican try without it but i am gonna have a huge gap I am pretty sure.
The gasket is about 30 mmm thick, I ll try that.

Baozer, any picture how you did it? Did you actually attach it to the upper bolt on the chassis also or did you leave it only attach by the muffler and the big band?

I am gonna add an other clamp also than the original one...
I don't have pics, but yes it is attached on the upper bolt on the chassis and also the muffler area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts