Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I laid my bike down and rashed my plastics. I ordered a new set on here and the fit was so-so. I was pleased but it wasn't perfect. My issue is that the 2 under belly pieces couldn't fit as they should so I had to ninja zip-tie 2 spots of the under belly right by the back tire. Guess I tied to close and it was rubbing my exhaust, and burnt through the heat shield form and I noticed it just barely starting to warp my plastic.

So question...does the exhaust wrap do that much of difference? And where to get the heat shield foam with one side sticky? Looked online and came across eBay china special but was wondering if something someone uses better/from here. Thx in Advan (been awhile since ive logged on, good to be back)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Exhaust wrap will hold more heat your header which will affect performance. It can also trap moisture. You could try some foil tape to help reflect heat.

·
Registered
648 Posts
if i were to wrap the pipe right after the muffler until the mid pipe, would that affect performance?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I am not an ICE intake/exhaust guru like some, but from what I have picked up from general talk over the years:

No, not really. Wrapping the exhaust keeps heat in the pipe, which keeps the air hotter, which actually helps power (a tiny amount) by increasing something called 'scavenging'. However, it also cooks the piping, which is very bad for titanium and probably not great for steel. It can also lean the fuel mixture.

A good basic writeup here: Unwrapping the Mystery of Exhaust Wrap

I was burning my track plastics at the catalytic converter and nothing I did could stop it; I replaced it with the MJS midpipe, however this requires a tuning since airflow is greatly affected.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wrapped my headers out of curiosity. No noticeable increase in power. I already have heat reflective tape on my fairings, so no difference there.
I probably got low quality wrap, but every time I rode my bike, right at about 5 minutes the headers would give off a terrible smell and a considerable amount of smoke. Turns out I was actually melting the fiberglass right at the beginning of the pipes, and when it cooled, it turned into glass.
When I removed the wrap, the headers had considerable surface rust (didn't ride it in the rain at all during this time) and the first inch of wrap on every pipe was almost solid glass.
I would suggest not wrapping your exhaust, and instead just use heat reflective tape or foil tape on the fairings.
I'm back to no wrap now, and it's so much more pleasant not having that plume of fiberglass smoke in my face at every stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts