Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Exhaust packing coming out?

I've never had this done before but on my exhaust last night I had a piece of the packing come out...one strand. Later that night after a quick acceleration shifting at 12k again there was a piece of packing coming out of the exhaust again...one strand.

Is this because it needs to be repacked?

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Over time the packing material becomes "compressed" from the heating and cooling cycle thus making your exhaust louder. I've found thru trial and error a tighter packed canister is louder and needs to be repacked less often than one that is loosely packed. You can find repacking kits at twobros.com

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is what your saying is that i need to repack my silencer?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'm not so sure that it becomes compressed so much as the insulation is trapping particulates and eliminating air pockets in the can. The air pockets are what allow the sound waves to bounce around inside the can and get trapped. That's why when you pack the can tighter you have less air space and a louder pipe. However, when you don't use enough packing it will also get loud but for a different reason. Now you have less insulation to trap the sound waves so they pass right through.

For your case, how old is the can? I've heard of cans loosing thier packing due to a defect.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The can I'm going to guess is about 2-3yrs old. The previous owner before me barely rode the bike. This month alone I have put close to 2k on it. Bike is in mint condition.

I haven't found it to be an issue yet...it was just those two times last night that I saw it, which happened to be after I have a few high RPM shifts 12-14k.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well it sounds like the internal expanded metal liner has rusted out and caused a hole. You'll need to pull the endcap off and replace the packing and the internal metal liner that hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I couldn't think a better word at the time than "compressed." But yeah you're on the button, there are less air pockets that keep the noise down.
Repack the can and you should be okay. Use a hi temp sealant and stainless steel rivets to prevent future problems.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ran out to the garage and snapped a quick photo. You'll see the hole on the top - seems its meant to be there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It came out of the bigger hole towards the top...before the liner even begins. Just one string hanging out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts