Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since gas has been going up, I've been primarily riding the bike to work. I've noticed since I've gotten it(first of May), my leather jacket and backpack smell like exhaust fumes. I put it in my cubicle usually but now it's getting too bad for that.

Anyone else experience the same problems? There's two things I can thing of causing this. One, the center exhaust air flow is coming up on me and getting into the jacket. Kind of like the front of a pickup bed on the highway. Two, the bike is running rich from the factory and just needs to be reprogrammed a little leaner.

Any ideas and ways to correct it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think maybe you are forgeting areodynamics. The shape of your bike with you on it creates a vacuum behind your back, due air circulating around a large blunt object(your body) at high speed. If you have ever seen semi-trucks with a dirty back door when the rest is clean. That is because the dirt that is kicked up by the tires gets trapped in that vacuum and is "pressed" against the door. This is similar with mini-vans, vans, SUV's. That is why they all have a wiper blade on the rear window. Oh, as far as your body being a "Large blunt object", that is in compairison with your bike. I'm not implying that you are out of shape or anything. :D (But if you are, remember, you are in shape, round is a shape) :bounce: Just joking. Hope this helps.

P.S. That is why you see AMA racers with that big hump on their backs.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My wife complains about that all the time. My last bike had a traditional right side exhaust and it did the same. I once realized something though, on a group ride we would keep stopping to wait for the others and I'd be sitting behind a bike's exhaust, getting the full bunt of it.

So I think you're smelling of exhaust because you are out exposed to the cars on the road, especially if you're commuting. I dont think its from your bike necessarily but from the traffic around you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, just making sure there wasn't anything wierd going on. I'm still thinking about the PC3 to lean it out a little. Guess it looks like I'm living with it.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
ah man, not this topic again.... :banghead: this one is almost as bad as the rearset or frame slider question... okay, i'm done ranting...

the gas smell is here to say. it is part of riding a motorcycle. there's nothing you can do about it. it's primarly caused by the drag produced when you and your motorcycle cut through the air, as someone mentioned above. you're just going to have to live with the smell.

my advice would be to carry a little bottle of frabreez in your back pack. that way if it gets too bad a work, just frabreez some on your bag and jacket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mule-madness said:
the gas smell is here to say. it is part of riding a motorcycle. there's nothing you can do about it. it's primarly caused by the drag produced when you and your motorcycle cut through the air, as someone mentioned above. you're just going to have to live with the smell.

my advice would be to carry a little bottle of frabreez in your back pack. that way if it gets too bad a work, just frabreez some on your bag and jacket.
yeah mule-madness is right, if you're gonna bitch/complain even about exhaust smell, you shouldn't consider motorcycle as your other transportation/sport. it's part of riding a motorcycle!! dont' be a wuss!

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
ctrow said:
One, the center exhaust air flow is coming up on me and getting into the jacket. Kind of like the front of a pickup bed on the highway.
Exactly!!

I suggest you switch to racing gas, that way the residual smell will smell better :lol2: I kinda like that exhaust smell, it grows on you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'd prefer alcohol or some sort of Nitro mix but that makes it kind of hard for fillups.:(

NR-1, I was just asking a simple question. When I rode my Bandit I didn't experience this problem. Sorry to waste time in your day by having you read this post. Maybe the smell of a grease monkey is okay at where you work but in the corporate environment it's not really accepted. When I asked for suggestions, I was looking for things mentioned above like carrying FraBreez, not 'don't be a wuss'. From now on if you have a problem with my questions, PM me and keep it out of the thread.

·
Registered
596 Posts
ctrow said:
Yeah, I'd prefer alcohol or some sort of Nitro mix but that makes it kind of hard for fillups.:(

NR-1, I was just asking a simple question. When I rode my Bandit I didn't experience this problem. Sorry to waste time in your day by having you read this post. Maybe the smell of a grease monkey is okay at where you work but in the corporate environment it's not really accepted. When I asked for suggestions, I was looking for things mentioned above like carrying FraBreez, not 'don't be a wuss'. From now on if you have a problem with my questions, PM me and keep it out of the thread.
You tell him ctrow :bitchslap: (I wouldn't take that if I were U!)

N1-R, are you gonna let him talk to you like that?!?!?! :bitchslap: (I wouldn't take that if I were you!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
ctrow said:

oh no, the smell of a "grease monkey" is definitely not okay for where i work, especially myself being a CHIEF FINANCIAL ANALYSIS MANAGER at HSBC. So I do know it's not appropriate for the "corporate environment", afterall I have to set a good example to my employees/coworkers. So you know what I do? I just don't ride the motorcycle to work, problem solved. I'm sure you could have figured that out too if you went to more schooling okay?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts