Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I read through the previous post about how the exhaust stink just soaks into you after even a short ride... and I agree. I know it's not from other cars and I know it doesn't happen on all other bikes (my Busa NEVER reeeeked like this).

It's easy to pinpoint to the center-up exhaust's placement, possibly combined with running rich. If it was just a matter of getting out and riding, then coming home and cleaning up, it would be no biggie. But I use my bike for commuting to work as well... and I'm not ready to "just get used to it" w/o first trying everything I can to get rid of the smell.

I noticed that one person in the other thread mentioned that remapping got rid of the smell... has any one noticed a decrease after doing anything like this? Or maybe switching exhaust to an aftermarket system? Is there a decent (and relatively low-cost) system that would move the can into a more traditional position down by rightside?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! :???: :???: :???:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmmm I would guess its just then center exhaust

If you look at the side profile of the bike you can see how the tail is like a wing and the air just comes up and I'm guessing curves towards the front. Sine the exhaust is there too I'm guessing the fumes are getting picked up in the air flow.

yes...yes indeed :D :bounce:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I sometimes notice 'the stink', but it doesn't sound as bad as what u describe.

Maybe yours 'stinks' more than mine. If you got the moriwaki motogp style exhaust, you'd have a side canister in adddition to one under the seat. Maybe you'd only stink half as much and that would be bearable...

·
Registered
218 Posts
:spit:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I keep a small bottle of colonge in my trunk for those special ocassions. Is'nt the reason you bought the bike was for the center mounted exhaust? You can always trade it in for the F4I still a nice bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like the look of the center exhaust... but yesterday I bought it home and grabbed the owners manual from under the seat. I hung up my gear in the closet and plopped myself on the couch. the manual stinks like I spilled gas on it even tho it's been kept in a ziplock bag since the bike was bought (550 miles ago). Then I took off my shirt because I couldn't escape the smell of exhaust. Then I got up, got my jacket from the closet and put it downstairs because I could smell it. Then I gave up and took a shower.

This was all after only a 25 minute ride. Certain smells get to me... and exhaust is one of them. I don't have the fondness that some people do for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeh my girl won't sit next to me or let me sit on the couch until I shower. She'll even call from work to see what I'm up to when I tell I just got off the bike she yells you better not be sitting on the couch. With one hand on the phone and the other tucked into my pants (Al Bundy Style) while laying comfy on the couch I calmly reply I'm not. The things we do when they're not around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Luckily, my girl rides too... has an '91 GS500E with a messed up carb and in need of a tune up... and it doesn't stink nearly as bad. :shock:

·
Registered
812 Posts
My wife is like a blood hound (has a nose as sensitive as a blood hound NOT looks like one OK) and she never mentioned this.

I ride more out in the open and don't have to wait at traffic lights etc.

Do you guys ride in traffic / congested areas? If you're moving even 50mph I don't see how exhust could wrap around.

Are you headers on tight?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm definitely getting it from behind (NO JOKES PLEASE :lol2: )... it's the back of my jacket and/or backpack that smells the worst. I don't even really smell it while riding. And it doesn't matter much what speed I ride at.

What happens when you ride is that you create a little vacuum pocket behind you where air gets sucked into the space where your body just was... the exhaust happens to get sucked in along with it -- more so because it's a center-up exhaust. And from what I've been reading elsewhere, it looks like some newer Hondas have some rich smelling fumes for some reason.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
my friends r6 is like that it is worse than RR he smells so bad... when we would go ride i could smell it on him...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think if someone come up with a wear-able spoiler, which extends the flow separation from our back to the tip of the spoiler will solve the exhaust stink problem... Although, i'm not your typical fashion expert, i'd rather be stinky than wearing that skirt... :bounce:

Have you tried riding to work really fast in the tucked position? I think that helps too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find that when riding tucked, it keep my backpack a little less stinky... but it gives me a stinky ass. :lol2:

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
It's an unfortunate side effect of the undertail exhaust. The added ground clearance and kick ass styling obviously comes at a price. As you said bro, you are extra sensitive to the smell, I have just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I rode today and didn't stink nearly as bad as I normally do. Same distance, relatively the same temperature etc.

The only thing I did was change the oil on my bike last weekend. I haven't rode since then as it has been raining here in Toronto and wicked cold. It's the first time I'm running synthetic too. Excuse my ignorance but is it safe to say that the new synthetic oil is responsible for the reduction in the fumes???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts