Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been recently looking into wrapping the midpipe if my bike. I don't have a lot of knowledge on wrapping but from the research I've done, most have said that you shouldn't wrap titanium exhausts because it can cause cracking in the future. I've looked all over for an answer but haven't gotten one that is simply straight forward. Is wrapping your midpipe for a carbon fiber slipon okay? I have a two bros vale carbon slipon. Is there any potential damage that could occur down the road?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner 03/14
2,497 Posts
Water getting trapped causing it to rust out if it's steel.

The exhaust wrap helps increase scavenging, and decreases the heat loss that reduces the exhaust gas temperature. The hotter the gas, the greater the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, and the faster the gas gets from the inlet of the exhaust to the exit. This should, theoretically, result in a (marginal) power increase.

The only problem with excessive heating of stainless pipes is that it may cause the migration of the chromium molecules towards the surface of the pipes, potentially resulting in corrosion by various mechanisms. As suggested, some way of moisture insulation may be advisable, but since I have no experience with this, I would not recommend it either way. The same problem would not occur in titanium pipes.

Obviously, it can also prevent you burning the sh!t out of yourself if you touch it :)
Exhaust wrap on Ti parts has been known to cause them to crack prematurely.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Wrapping increases EGT, and will burn out your canister packing faster. Given the problematic quality of Two Noes pipes, I would be remiss to expose the can to any more heat than necessary.

·
Registered
860 Posts
you will see no performance benefit other than thinking it must be better because you spent money on it.

it is a complete waste ot time, money and effort on a road bike.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Now that I think of it, I can't recall seeing heat wrap on any pro race bike, ever.

I think wrap is a leftover from car engine builders that had to improvise because custom piping was too close to other objects underhood.

·
BOTM Winner 09/15
1,418 Posts
Exhaust wrapping is used for one thing only on a performance exhaust: keeping extra heat in to help increase exhaust flow due to those higher temps.

Titanium doesn't hold hold up to wrapping very well because as all metals it expands and contracts under heat. That's why these systems use springs and not flanges to hold the sections together, it allows them to move as they expand and restricting this movement by wrapping them can put additional stress on the components.

Some teams get the additional performance from increasing exhausts temp by ceramic coating the headers, this is where most of the gains (however slight) can be found.

It is well worth noting here though that teams at this level of Motorsport will life all of their components and so any ill affects this may have in the long run is irrelevant as they are replaced periodically and well before cracking can occur from the use of the coatings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts