Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm a new member / rider and ride with some friends that are better than me. Some of them wheelie, some don't. I've only put about 600 miles on my 07 600rr, and about 1000 on my old F4i (which I had to sell for needed money). Other than that I have no other riding experience. I'm finding myself getting the urge to try some wheelies and to be honest, its scaring me.

I'm curious as to how much experience is recommended, or how long did you wait to try a wheelie, if you even have? Input from experienced to new riders greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless you feel very comfortable in your riding and maneuvering the bike, I wouldnt try it just yet! Just my .02

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
not worth trying at this point.......

when you are comfortable with using all the power the motor can produce, start playing with using torque/clutch to bring front wheel up.

easy to drop bike when you are learning .....and dropped bike is $$$$$ to repair.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
First, learn you're bike inside and out before going for tricks. With your experience level, I'd hold off.

Second, film it. For the love of Kate Upton, film it if you go for it.

No offense, just don't want you to hurt your bike.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
288 Posts
Been riding for almost 7 years now, 2 different bikes and lots of miles. I've bad the urge plenty of times, but the consequences of failing have always outweighed the rewards of trying (not many I can think of.) That being said if you so feel the urge, at least take the proper precautions (wearing all your gear and not doing so on public roads where you would endanger others, especially with no experience.) Good luck bud!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
If you don't have the money to replace the parts from an accidental 12oclock, tank slap, etc dont try. Just pace yourself. Its easy to get sucked into wheelies, fast turns, riding over your abilities but those things lead to crashes.

If you really want to learn, save up some cash and buy a cheap bike to practice in parking lots or the crash protection for the '07. Tools will show wear though...

Almost 6 years of riding (last 2.5yrs track only) and except for the occasional elevation change in the track or too much throttle coming out of a corner my front wheel stays on the ground.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like I should hold off. To be honest, I don't NEED to wheelie to feel satisfied on my bike, its just something that always intrigued me. It seems that if I did get the balls to try, clutching it is the safest and easiest way to learn? The power wheelies seem too scary going that fast. To be honest, just popping the front off the ground is all I would need to experience.

I'll take the guy who said he has been riding seven years and still hasn't done one as inspiration. I still love my bike too much.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like I should hold off. To be honest, I don't NEED to wheelie to feel satisfied on my bike, its just something that always intrigued me. It seems that if I did get the balls to try, clutching it is the safest and easiest way to learn? The power wheelies seem too scary going that fast. To be honest, just popping the front off the ground is all I would need to experience.

I'll take the guy who said he has been riding seven years and still hasn't done one as inspiration. I still love my bike too much.
I've been riding over 15 years and to be honest, I've never even had the urge. Maybe it's because I've always had nice bikes that I didn't want to drop. I've always focused more on my riding skills, body position, etc.
If you start stunting you will drop it at some point, guaranteed!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I've been riding over 15 years and to be honest, I've never even had the urge. Maybe it's because I've always had nice bikes that I didn't want to drop. I've always focused more on my riding skills, body position, etc.
If you start stunting you will drop it at some point, guaranteed!
Do you consider it stunting when a guy whens the race and rides a wheelie down a quarter mile stretch in front of everyone or is he just good

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Do you consider it stunting when a guy whens the race and rides a wheelie down a quarter mile stretch in front of everyone or is he just good
Well, if he won the race, he's obviously a great rider! You're also comparing a race bike with a professional rider to a street bike with a novice rider...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Well, if he won the race, he's obviously a great rider! You're also comparing a race bike with a professional rider to a street bike with a novice rider...
yea true true, just wondered why after fifteen years, you never thought u were experience enough to know what you were doing or just the simple fact its pointless, which in all reality it is. just trying to get some insight is all

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just think it's pointless and the potential for something bad to happen far outweighs any satifaction I would get. I don't ride for attention or to show off, I just love to ride! I've done a few stoppies before... It wasn't to show off, though, it was because I had to make emergency stops and the rear wheel just came up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, honestly... I'm 34 years old, never had dirt bike / motorcycle experience growing up or anything and I think the thought of wheelies just seems cool. But I do love just riding most of all. Its mostly just curiosity... and the fact that being on a sportbike makes you think about it more. Good to hear some sport riders haven't wheelied or try to. Not that I don't follow my own life, I'm just gauging the new community I've put myself in.

Out of pure curiosity, I was thinking about it. It seems people say to start on power wheelies an then clutching it up. But on our 600rr bikes, it seems that you have to be going pretty fast to power it up. Rolling at lower speeds and GRADUALLY increasing the throttle and blipping the clutch seems a lot safer to just pop it up to get the feel. Am I correct in thinking this? Don't worry, still not gonna try... just curious. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would hold off for awhile if I were you. I can ride stand-ups, sit downs, and tank wheelies on my quad until I have to make a turn. I haven't dropped a wheelie on that in 2+ yrs. Bike is a lot different, even with my previous experience. Going from a thumb throttle to a twist is hard to get used to when you're hangin on the bars.

But, you're right...on my 05 I need to be going about 35 to power up, which by the time the front actually is up.....youre really cruising, especially for no experiance. If you clutch up..start slow. It's pretty easy to over do it and 12 o'clock. Either way if you decide to do it....sack up, start slow, and cover the rear brake.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya, there are a few videos I watched where they actually started beginners doing clutch wheelies instead of power. They just slipped the clutch at a higher RPM and the front bumped up a bit. Seems A LOT safer to gradually do that than full out fast power wheelies...

But I will take everyones advice and chill with trying them ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts