Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year factory warranty is about to expire in April. I began receiving letters from Honda about the extended warranty plans. Should I purchase? The 24 months extended warranty is about $440 – seems like a lot. So far I have had no problems with the bike. What do you all suggest I do?

·
Registered
278 Posts
do you think that you will have the money if something major goes wrong? thats why i bought it becuase i had the money to extend it, but if it were to break i was pretty sure i wouldnt have the money to fix it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, extended warranties are worthless. Most people don't end up using them, so they just pay an extra $500 to the dealer for nothing in most cases. If you DO have a problem that requires a warranty claim, the extended warranty may or may not cover it. They don't cover everything the original warranty covers.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
dracus said:
As far as I'm concerned, extended warranties are worthless. Most people don't end up using them, so they just pay an extra $500 to the dealer for nothing in most cases. If you DO have a problem that requires a warranty claim, the extended warranty may or may not cover it. They don't cover everything the original warranty covers.
While I do agree with you that extended warranties are generally worthless to the buyer(they make dealers TONS of money). I believe the extended warranty on our bikes covers everything the first year one does. I could have gotten a bunch of wrong info, but I was told it covered pretty much anything that shouldn't wear out....ie, brake pads, battery, clutch, etc...

·
Registered
881 Posts
depends if it's third party offering the extended warranty, not sure if Honda offers it directly, but since most are third party, read the fine print carefully

you can also buy it later before the original warranty is up, but again, it will almost always be third party

Hey it's a Honda, think about that!

·
Registered
362 Posts
i don't buy extended warranties for jack! i guess it's a good idea, but with my bike, cars, and trucks, i tend to spend so much time and money making mods and enjoying them that it doesn't make sense to me. STOCK SUCKS!!! about the only thing i can think the extended warranty would help me on is the motor, and even then... but, as BlueBlur said, "peace of mind". if you feel safer with it, then get it. it is a honda! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I opted for the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on mine...only cost me and extra 400 bucks on top of the bike. Its cheap insurance in my opinion...go price a starter, a radiator, or some other part that seems to fail sometimes quite often on a motorcycle...on older bikes where most any part can be replaced for 50 bucks, it would be stupid for you to buy one, but seeing how most OEM parts for this bike are rediculously priced, it makes sence to spring for it. It doesnt cover accidents, but its nice to know that you can ride to your hearts content and not have to worry about shelling out cash for things that break out of nowhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I kinda looked at it like this when I was offered the option when I bought the bike. I am pretty mechnically inclined and know my way around bikes, cars, etc. Therefore I feel comfortable working on it when something goes wrong. If I wasnt then I would probably get the warranty.

"Most" parts are affordable, its the labor that really sticks it to ya.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Warranties are all the rage now with retailers everywhere. (BestBuy employees get fired if they forget to offer their warranty plans when you purchase something)

They're popular precisely because they make them a crap load of extra money. I guess they are good in that they allow retailers to drop their overall margins and reduce initial buy prices. But I hate how you really get roped into feeling that you have to spend that extra 10% to buy insurance against what you just bought failing on you...

IMO, the warranty is pretty much a waste. There might be a couple people here who have their ignition computer die, or a defect in the engine blow it up, but 99% of us will not have anything worth claiming... and so it is just extra money to Honda (AFAIK, it does *not* go directly to dealers, although they probably recieve a commission on each one sold).

You really have to ask, is there anything covered that would cost me more than $500 to replace that has any decent chance of blowing up in 4 years? Keep in mind that it only covers parts that do not degrade due to normal wear and tear. So no tires, battery, chain, oil, sprockets, etc... My answer to that is, No, there isn't anything... But you may be more worrisome than me.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Yossarian said:
Warranties are all the rage now with retailers everywhere. (BestBuy employees get fired if they forget to offer their warranty plans when you purchase something)
**** best buy. You're not kidding....some of them don't only ask....they literally push and push to make you buy it. I had such a terrible experience buying a computer from them I will NEVER EVER buy another thing from that store no matter how good the deal.

·
Registered
494 Posts
DeRRek said:
Good topic, If i may add to it......What modifications will void a warranty?
There's a good writeup by SEMA called What to do When Your Warranty Claim is Denied

Basically, dealers cannot deny a warranty claim based on the sole fact that you have modded the vehicle. If the mod is completely unrelated to the problem, they have to honor the warranty claim. Now obviously if you were to put a Power Commander on and then you had a problem with your fuel injectors or something, that would be different, and they would probably deny it in that case.

A lot of car dealerships (I say car because I've never had experience with warranties and bike dealerships) will deny a warranty claim as soon as they see that a car is modified. DON'T let a dealer try to push you around! Print out the writeup from SEMA and show it to your dealer if they try to dispute something with you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check e-bay before you buy.

Really ....my local Kawasaki Dealer wants $1000 for a 5-year warranty and I found an Dealer back East charging $350.

H

·
0 Posts
i opted to get it.. i think i paid around 400 for it... but i got a sweet deal on the bike so i figured why not... i was not pressured to get it or anything like that.. i jsut liked the idea of having the warrenty...

·
Registered
274 Posts
HighLineCBR, mine expires in April too & I've been getting all kinds of crap in the mail. See if you have a post card thing that says FINAL REMINDER & has a toll free # 1-800-411-9277, I called them yesterday & they said they extend the exact same warranty that came with the bike for $425 for 48 months. About the same price as the 2 year warranty directly through Honda. But i still haven't decided if I'm gonna do it or not.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I picked up the ext. warranty & also the rim/tire warranty. I think I paid an extra 5-600 for both combined. I have already gone through 4 back tires @ 3 front ones, warranty paid for all of them. The warranty covered parts and labor. I had to have my bike towed in a couple weeks ago due to a screw in the back tire (stupid parking lot at work :banghead: ) but when the guy strapped the bike in he broke the control unit on the left side. I didn't find out that it was broken until after the service was done on the bike. When I mentioned to this to the service department they asked if I had the extended warranty. When I said yes, they told me not to worry about a thing and that they would order the new part and call me when it was in. I got a call a couple days ago and the part is in. I told them that I will bring it in later this week and asked how much I will owe them, they told me not to worry about a thing it is all under warranty. So far my warranty has saved me a couple hundred dollars so I am happy with picking it up. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
the manufacture extended warranty is a good thing ( they kiss your ass if you have one ) , dealer/aftercare warranty is crap .
this bothers me... i didn't know there was a difference between manufacturer and dealer warranty until i saw that reply from r6beater...

i got a letter from honda about a month ago telling me that my one year warranty expired and that i have so many days to get the extended one. i called the dealer where i got the bike and ask them wtf.. i thought i bought the extended warranty.. and they said not to worry about it because i have the warranty with them (dealer)..
well apparently (from what r6beater has said) there is a difference between dealer and manufacturer warranty... so did i get screwed here?? i'm gonna look at the agreement tomorrow..

·
Registered
513 Posts
e^2(PI)i, most dealers won't support another dealers /aftermarket warr. . if it's a honda extended warranty , every honda dealer HAS to deal with it . honda extended is called HPP ( honda protection plan ) . if that's not what you bought you probably got screwed ..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts