Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to getting ez pass (nyc) and i dont know where to mount the damn thing. The previous owner used to have ezpass on the bike, but back when it was the same size as the ezpass unit as in a car, the ones for bikes nowadays are smaller and thinner, they are about the size of a cigarette pack. So anybody out there have ez pass mounted behind a side or front fairing? i really dont want to have it mounted on the top of the gas tank like the previous owner, and he also has said that he has it mounted under the rear seat cowl, but he had alot of issues with the unit being read when he rode into the ez pass lane.

Any suggestions? pics?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm also interested in some suggestions for this. I usually just pull mine out of my tank bag and hold it above my helmet.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have mine face up under the rear seat cowl with the barcode facing up (old ez pass version). I also had it on the inside of the windscreen, stuck on with some velcro left hand side above the gauges, but somehow that angle would never work. Under the seat did it for me, never looked back.

I also spray painted mine black so it's less conspicuous under the screen, but doing so, they'll charge you $16 (used to be $25) if you ever hand it in for "destroying it".

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
harry-nyc

so u mean to tell me you have your ezpass UNDER the rear seat cowl and u never had any issues at the toll plaza with it reading it, but you had issues with the toll plaza reasing it was velcro'd behind your windshield? do you usually ride with the cowl, or the seat?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
harry-nyc

so u mean to tell me you have your ezpass UNDER the rear seat cowl and u never had any issues at the toll plaza with it reading it, but you had issues with the toll plaza reasing it was velcro'd behind your windshield? do you usually ride with the cowl, or the seat?
Correct. When I had it on my windscreen, 9/10 times it wouldn't work. If there was an agent at the booth, I would rip it off the velcro, hand it to them, and they were able to tap it on the machine and the gate would open. When there was no gate, I would just go through. If they take a picture of your plate they first match it to see if you have an EZ pass registered to the vehicle/bike, and charge it to your account. If you don't have EZ pass registered to your bike, they'll send you a nice ticket.

I ride with the rear passenger seat (not cowl, sorry) all the time, and I have it dead center under the seat, face up with the ezpass portion up. I haven't had any issues since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, im just suprised, if you have it behind your windshield u would think it would read it easier, since u basically only have a thin piece of plastic between the ezpass and the toll booth reader, when the ezpass is under the rear seat u have damn near the whole bike, your body, and the thick plastic of your rear seat all in the way of the ezpass and toll booth reader.

Ill just try that i guess, worst that can happen is i have to get off my bike and turn it off to pull the key out and open the rear seat in the toll booth.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
259 Posts
Correct. When I had it on my windscreen, 9/10 times it wouldn't work. If there was an agent at the booth, I would rip it off the velcro, hand it to them, and they were able to tap it on the machine and the gate would open. When there was no gate, I would just go through. If they take a picture of your plate they first match it to see if you have an EZ pass registered to the vehicle/bike, and charge it to your account. If you don't have EZ pass registered to your bike, they'll send you a nice ticket.

I ride with the rear passenger seat (not cowl, sorry) all the time, and I have it dead center under the seat, face up with the ezpass portion up. I haven't had any issues since. Hope this helps.
If they take a pic of plate and just take it out of your account why carry one at all?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they take a pic of plate and just take it out of your account why carry one at all?
if im not mistaken from what i have heard from other board members, when they do it that way they charge you a extra buck each time. Sounds about right, then again, i thru my instruction manual in the trash when i got my ez pass kit.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have the older EZ-pass and attached it behind the windscreen with velcro. Doesnt look pretty but it does the job and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

They dont do that...at least not in my experience. They send you a letter with a picture of your vehicle going through the toll booth. I havent gotten a letter in years but if I remember correctly, there was no extra charge. But they probably changed that. Either way, if you go in and out of the city regularly, it's not worth the hassel.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The reason to carry it is because sometimes there are cops stationed on the other side of the toll booth, easier to show them that you actually have an ez-pass.

I have it inside the rear compartment right under the rear passenger seat. Not that there's much space in there. I guess the system is pretty strong and reads it, but there's no obstruction on top of my rear seat. Unless maybe I have a bad EZ pass that doesn't work on my windscreen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Extra charge makes sense. I know a bunch of guys down here who have 1 pass in the car and just go online and set up the bike on that account also. Then use the picture charge method on the bike. I don't go through tolls where I am but I'm curious to see if they would even pick up my tag.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I know a bunch of guys down here who have 1 pass in the car and just go online and set up the bike on that account also.
Well a motorcycle EZ-pass has an M endorsement and you can get discounts on certain bridges, tunnels etc. I think you have to provide some kind of proof that it's for a motorcycle, so the discount is not activated right away, usually be sending in a copy of your registration. It's kinda dumb because they can verify your motorcycle through your license plate, but this is the DMV we're talking about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts