Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Who pays toll?

• Cheap ass! I always pay toll!!

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Hell no! I can save that money and modify my bike!

Votes: 22 40.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright who honstly don't pay the toll when you are riding on your bike? I know couple of people who has verticle plate bracket and they never pay toll because the camera doesn't pick up..

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I pay toll, and with my motorcycle there is a 50% discount. I also have a different tag for my cage and the first 30 miles is free with that one. So if I am going 30 miles or less with my bike I take my cage tag, otherwise I use my bike tag.

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
I always paid my tolls. I had my little iPass stuck onto my screen. Why risk getting an expensive ticket when I can pay 50¢-75¢ per toll? And like erw43 said, I received a discount for having a bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I usually pay. I recently ordered the ezpass tag for the bike...Now I don't have to reach into my jacket pocket...

The ticket or fine you will receive if you get caught is not worth the chump change..

·
Registered
559 Posts
I hate the fact that i gotta fish change outta my pockets on my bike... It's so hard to get them out with gloves on!!!!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
You have to fax the registration to the thruway authory. I think the discount started about 2 years ago when I was in Iraq. Before that I had a tag for the bike but it didn't get a discount, so after I faxed them the registration (as I was instructed over the phone, when I called the toll-free number) I received a new tag with a huge 'M' on it and it's 1/2 price.

Call E-Z pass they will tell you what to do.

how do u get the ezpass discount for the bike?

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
I pay but I try to avoid them if I can. A coworker I know will not use EZ Pass because he is convinced they will mail him a speeding ticket if they match the entrance and exit times when he is riding.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
I have wondered that myself, is that possible? (Legal, the thruway authories is not the 5-O)
possible? yes. legal? unless you have a lawyer to represent you, or you know the law that well, you don't stand a chance against the judge on your own. They will find a way to make it "legal" enough to hit you with it.

As I said in the other post though, I have an ez-pass account already, and I do bring the tag with me. But it doesn't always register for some reason. So if I get the letter, I pay the toll. No biggie.

·
TurtlesScout
775 Posts
yea they can give u tickets if ur times are to quick. i dont kno about the mailing part but i know they will tell u to pull over after the toll. they got cops just for those special occasions

·
Registered
856 Posts
As long as you have your plate linked to an EZ Pass account and your balance is not negative, you don't even have to carry your tag with you when you ride. At least in NJ you don't. I called them and asked cuz no matter where I had it on the bike or in my pocket, it never registered as I passed thru the tolls. She told me that they will take a pic of your plate, and as long as it is linked to a current EZ Pass account, they won't issue you a ticket, just deduct the price of the toll from your account.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
no that doesn't work. Some times they don't get a picture on the way on the thruway and only off, so they charge you the highest rate that they can from that exit. It's happened to me 3 or 4 times and I had to call them to fix it.

As long as you have your plate linked to an EZ Pass account and your balance is not negative, you don't even have to carry your tag with you when you ride. At least in NJ you don't. I called them and asked cuz no matter where I had it on the bike or in my pocket, it never registered as I passed thru the tolls. She told me that they will take a pic of your plate, and as long as it is linked to a current EZ Pass account, they won't issue you a ticket, just deduct the price of the toll from your account.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The ticket or fine you will receive if you get caught is not worth the chump change..
you ain't getting caught.. assuming your plate is tucked at least somewhat under the tail like 99% of sportbike plates the cameras won't catch it and if you just go through like normal (tailgating the car in front of you a bit if there's a gate) cops won't come after you.. yea I guess it's a cheapass move but I rarely go through tolls with my bike anyway

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you ain't getting caught.. assuming your plate is tucked at least somewhat under the tail like 99% of sportbike plates the cameras won't catch it and if you just go through like normal (tailgating the car in front of you a bit if there's a gate) cops won't come after you.. yea I guess it's a cheapass move but I rarely go through tolls with my bike anyway
This is how I do it.. I tailgate the crap out of the front car and I tuck my plate up so it wont get captured by the camera.... I go through turnpike everyday to go to work and it's 6bucks a day just for the toll..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts