Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I lost 250 dollars to an MSF course because I was 10 minutes late. I would rather not spend another 250 if I don't have to. Is there any other way for a 17 year old to get their full motorcycle license? Thanks

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
probably go to the mvc and schedule the test with them

but you should still take the course, even if you have to spend another $250
be more responsible and be on time.

when I took mine I remember getting there 30 minutes early and already there were a couple people hanging out waiting for the day to begin.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i dont think you can reschedule for the actual driving test. on the first day of the classroom session i believe you can be a little late but the next 2 days you have to be on time. there is no other way to actually get a full liscense. it varies by state but even if you go to MVD and take the test, it's only an endoresement. by law you have to ride with someone who has an actual liscense. but if the cops in ur city is as dumb as mine then you can get away with it. 6mos later though you still have to schedule a roadtest and pay $90 for it. In my state its the same guys who teach the MSF class that do the road test with you. i've heard they score harder though cause you didn't take their class

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
There is a set curriculum and a time frame in which you have to run or the facility could lose it's standing as a MSF school which is why being punctual is mandatory. If anything, ask the school if you can get some sort of discount or credit towards another class, though that would be very kind of the school to do that.

There is some flexability, though it is slim depending on how late to class you are. 10 to 15min no too bad. Anymore than that is asking a lot of the instructor and class.

If there is ever an issue with making it on time, like with anything, a simple phone call to the school before you run late is common courtesy. Stuff happens, though make the case before you run late.

First day might be understandable because students are trying to locate facility... that's a gimmie because with google and maps, you should take the initiative to plan ahead.

Second day, there is no excuse unless car trouble, which a simple phone call ahead of time allows for some consideration.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I figured I was screwed, I just wasn't sure if there was any other way. I'll just have to get another 250 dollars from my money tree and retake it lol jk. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
hey man.. u should been there on time. im 17 too and i took MSF, got there like 30 mins early. your parents bought your bike and everything else? lucky. i had to pay for all my crap including msf

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i've heard they score harder though cause you didn't take their class
I don't and I doubt others do either. You either do what has been taught or you don't. We can't make you do something on paper. Heck, you have the rest of the students watching you do the same thing and talking about what a student did or didn't do.

I've had students do mediocre during the course and nail the riding exam. Even vice versa, and cook under unecessary pressure they put on themself.

We can all see brake lights before cornering, hand position on controls and hear the sound of the motor for inconsistant throttle, deceleration and acceleration.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually bought the bike myself, my mom paid for the class though, I'll probably have to pay this time which is ok. It's just a pain. I was ten minutes late because I couldn't find the place. The map I was given had the wrong streets and such, and I was in a city I'm completely unfamiliar with. I have my permit for now so it's all ok

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was 15 minutes late to my second riding section. I was so worried the same thing would happen to me! The reason it happened is because I live in Boston and the class was an hour out of town. There was an accident and I was stuck on Storrow for a good 30 minutes.

Anyway, I think the reason the instructor let in slide was because I was pretty attentive and had asked lots of questions in the classroom portion. He knew my name where he didn't know others. Still, I should have gotten there on time.

Having taken the class, I don't think it's a magical thing that will imbue you with a wonderful ability to be safe - but it's definitely a good thing. You should take it.

Also, I have to say - you probably don't have that benefit of the doubt because you're 17. It's just the way of the world.

Bri

·
Registered
189 Posts
so they took your 250 becuz you were 10 mins late? that instructor is a crook. and youre not too worried about that? you must be rich. let me have 250 you can paypal me. thanks bud

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
so they took your 250 becuz you were 10 mins late? that instructor is a crook. and youre not too worried about that? you must be rich. let me have 250 you can paypal me. thanks bud

the MSF class that I took clearly specifies (they even email you) that participants MUST BE on time (rain or shine) and that tardiness may result in not being able to continue with the class (even if its the second day or test day) and there will be no refund for lateness.

think of it as a small lesson for this 17yr old to be on time in the future

after all, time really is money

haha no I'm actually really pissed about the money, I've just accepted it cuz there's not really anything I can do about it.
yep, sh1t happens and now you know better.

good luck with the class... and HAVE FUN!
I had a lot fun and may retake it again eventually as a refresher

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
check the laws in your state for motorcycle license. here in pa you go and take the computer test to get your permit and you can go the next day if you want to get your motorcycle license. the class is recommended but not mandatory. if i were to go to the DMV and schedule a skills test they would have me do three figure 8's in a square ride about a 100 feet around a cone and back (just long enough so you have to shift gears). they check that everything on your bike works properly and you know how to use it. I have been riding for 2 years on my permit. If you do pass the skills test they give you your actual license not just your endorsement. do some research and good luck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wait you're 17? In California, people under 21 only have to pay $150 for the class, otherwise its 250. That sucks. Plus they let people re-schedule here. I personally can't stand authority, so I would try to fight it. Just be like I'm trying to responsible by taking this class (can't be said for most 17 year olds, I'd give you brownie points for that) I recycled milk bottles all winter to save up for the class.. even if they don't let you re-enroll for free, see if you can get a reduced tuition rate. That's really not fair for them to take your money and then not use you for it. It's not like the bike they set aside for you had any wear and tear put on it--because you obviously were not there. A lot of money goes into the maintenance of these bikes, and they basically got a free 250 dollars. Just doesn't seem right to me. But I showed up to my class on time.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Sorry it's a PITA to get your license in MI, OP. I mean, losing 250 is sucky....

Nonetheless, I'm kind of glad that it's a bit of a process to get a full license...It's stupid easy here in CA. Take a written 36 question test, and bam, you have a permit. Come back the next day, ride in a circle and show them you can use your horn and that's about it...scary....

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was 15 minutes late to my second riding section. I was so worried the same thing would happen to me! The reason it happened is because I live in Boston and the class was an hour out of town. There was an accident and I was stuck on Storrow for a good 30 minutes.

Anyway, I think the reason the instructor let in slide was because I was pretty attentive and had asked lots of questions in the classroom portion. He knew my name where he didn't know others. Still, I should have gotten there on time.

Having taken the class, I don't think it's a magical thing that will imbue you with a wonderful ability to be safe - but it's definitely a good thing. You should take it.

Also, I have to say - you probably don't have that benefit of the doubt because you're 17. It's just the way of the world.

Bri

its probably because your a girl hahaha =P

·
Registered
325 Posts

Bri
They let it slide b/c you're a girl. You were 15 minutes late; you are lucky they didn't send you home.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They let it slide b/c you're a girl. You were 15 minutes late; you are lucky they didn't send you home.
If that's true, and I don't think it is, I guess I'm lucky. It doesn't make up for getting paid 70 cents on the dollar for what a man makes, though.

Bri

1 - 20 of 30 Posts