Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That frikkin thing is hard... I made it through the cones alright, but didnt make it into the circle, put my foot down = Fail

Second try: made it throught cones a fine, went 1/2 way around the circl and wet out of the circle then put my foot down.

That circle is way hard! You have to go around it twice on the first test.

Twice on the second test, and once on the third.

Has anyone been able to do pass this on the 600rr?

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah I passed it. The trick is to pratice after hours untill you get it. Then take the test.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Don't despair, that might just mean you're not ready for the streets on your 600RR yet and that should be good for you. Take the MSF class, you'll learn a lot and you'll be doing exercises on a standard 125 or 250 so it'll be a lot easier for you. Once you've passed, they'll give you an endorsement for MC license.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Keep practicing, the cirlce was not as hard as the serpentine wind thru the cones for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I passed it easily without the MSF. I practiced about 2 hours prior to taking the test. You just have to trust that accelerating will bring your bike back upright. Holding the rear brake also helps the throttle control a bit. If you are completely new to motorcycling, take the course, that's what my girlfriend did, it helps. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I really dont understand what you guys are thinking when you buy an $8000+ motorcycle and not even know how to ride. Come on, take the MSF course

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yea, applying a lil rear drag brake helped me maintain consistent turns.
For me the hard part was getting the instructions down.
IMO These tests have almost nothing to do with proving you can control
A bike in typical traffic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ChadRR said:
I really dont understand what you guys are thinking when you buy an $8000+ motorcycle and not even know how to ride. Come on, take the MSF course

exactly-- so glad I started on my ninja250 2 years ago.... I highly recommend the MSF class as well, and find some non-squiddy friends to ride with. They can watch you and help you figure out what you're doing wrong and what you could do better.

:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take Virginia for instance (Northern), my motorcycle will not make the turn no matter how good I or anyone is. It is not a "real" half circle. So, after watching a guy on a harley who could not ride fail, I informed the lady that my bike will not, under any circumstances, make the turn due to it locking out at full turn. She understood and observed the gear that I had on and upon completion informed me that I would not be docked for putting a foot down on the semi-cirlce and commented that she knew that I could handle the bike well. So, try to preface your test with the instructor with the short cummings of a modern sport bike.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Go to a big parking lot and practice using your rear brake as others have said. The trick is to slip the clutch, keep the engine slightly rev'd, and ride the rear brake to control your speed. The faster the engine is rotating the more gyroscopic effects you get to help you (Up to a point). 10k rpm is no better than 2k rpm at slow speeds. ;-) Keep practicing your circles left and right until you can complete a circle at full lock without falling. That's what I did and passed on my RR first time.

Tim

·
Registered
638 Posts
First of all, the test administered in various states are different.

The california test is almost impossible to pass on the 600RR. (as I stated, i doubt if the same course is administered in the other states) I passed the Califonia test, but out of the tester's generosity. I put my foot down once, in the first test and then again in the second. but I guess the tester was feeling generous that day, he let me pass.

I agres that the cones were harder. If the cones are too close togeter, fuggedaboudid...

You'll have much better success if you took a smaller bike. the 600 is just too long for the tight dimensions of the cones and the circle in the california test.

·
Deeze
1,160 Posts
In Wisconsin they are phasing out the riding test, and are going to make all new riders take the MSF course. I just hope they open up alot of class space becuase it is impossible to get into the course.

Right now there is a 2 month wait just to take the test at the DMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oregon doesn't have a circle but we do have cones, and they suck. I've never encountered a riding situation that required that sort of manuevering. It just seems a little worthless.

I did tap a foot but here they just dock a point so i passed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Arizona has a reverse uturn inside a rectangle. It really is all about counterbalancing. The bike will turn a much tighter circle than you think. When I first looked at the rectangle, I walked the bike through it at full lock and it turned way wide. However, I was able to easily do it under power with exaggerated counterbalancing. Just practice. The bike will do a lot more than you think.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How big is this circle?! I'm new to motorcycles so please forgive me but I thought braking while cornering was a no-no? So at low speeds it is OK?

mIKE

1 - 20 of 55 Posts