Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week or so I have been noticing a faint ringing sound when I am in first gear in low rpm's(3,000-6,000) then it either stops making the noise or the bike just gets too loud for it to be audible I'm not sure. It sounds almost like a piece of metal scraping on the ground but it is not loud at all. It's sort of like the sound the brake pad of a car makes when they wear down to the little metal sensor, but I don't think its my brakes because they seem to be functioning fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I have no idea what it could be and cannot seem to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Should I be worried? I thought I would try to find the problem myself before I let a mechanic take all my money for a small issue.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a little more information would help please, what year is your bike? Km's? when was your last oil change? Is there oil? I know Hondas are notorious for CCT issues which start rattling not grinding at 3-8 thousand RPM. Sorry if I am being very vague but it could be a number of issues.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
more info for sure would help, also is it when you are riding alone or with any other people? if so see if they can hear it also.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Hmmm... when was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain?

Every chance that that is what you are hearing...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike is a 2009 with about 5200 miles on it. Yes it has oil in it! And oil was just changed maybe 1300 miles ago. I know it is not the chain because I just installed a new chain and sprocket and have only put about 100 miles on it, however the ringing was occuring prior to the chain installation and has continued after it also so I don't think it has anything to do with chain and sprocket. The only way I know how to describe it is like I said above, the way a cars brake pad sounds when it has worn down to the little metal sensor that scrapes against the rotor. Do motorcycle brake pads have this feature on them also? I have not changed brake pads since I bought the bike. Also I have never really messed with th cct so don't know what to look for there.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Ok then... not your chain :)

The sound the pad makes on the discs is a scraping sound... can't hurt to have a look at how worn they are though. When you look at them you will see a little cut made through the middle of the pad material. Once they have worn down to the level of that cut they need replacing, that should leave about 1 - 2mm of pad material left before your running on the backing plate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brakes appear to be fine. How do I check the CCT? What am I looking for and what do I do to fix it if this is the problem? Also am I damaging the bike by continuing to ride it?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The CCT will make a loud distinct rattle... you may be worrying about nothing.

Take the bike down to a shop and see what they think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts