Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is the wrong place, please move this thread.

I brought home my new-to-me 05 CBR600RR a few weeks ago. Everything was great until a few miles from the guy's house that I bought it from. I thought it was strapped down tight enough, but it wasn't. It fell over on the trailer and cracked the upper cowl in the corner of the left headlight. Thankfully, there isn't any other damage (and I've checked every inch of the motorcycle).

In general, the rest of the plastics are in great shape with no major scratches or crack anywhere.

Here's my problem. I ordered an aftermarket (unpainted) cowl online which fits pretty poorly, I don't think I'll be using it. I have an OEM fairing on order, to the tune of $525, which is backordered and doesn't have an ETA yet.

I've searched pretty extensively and read reviews on aftermarket fairings from places like absfairings.com and motofanclub. The general consensus seems to be that they fit alright, but need some persuasion sometimes. Obviously a full fairing kit from some of these places can be had for close to, or less than what I'm about to pay for just the upper cowl.

What would you do? Hold out for the OEM one or buy an aftermarket kit?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would repair the original one.
I have a friend who does body work. He and his partner looked at it and quoted me $250 to fix it. Basically half the cost of a new OEM one or half the cost of a whole fairing kit. Hence where I'm stuck.

I should be more specific about the severity of the crack. It's cracked clear through on the lower left corner of the headlight cutout. There's also an additional crack above that. There's also a piece about 2 inches high and 1 inch wide that broke off (which I have).

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Either repair or get a new OEM piece, that's what I'd do.

If you were looking to change the entire bodykit and didn't want to spend $$$, then I'd go aftermarket.

Fitment is always touch and go, the quality isn't as good and you have to be careful in how you handle it. They are also less likely to survive any drops or crashes. In your case, I'd just stick with the OEM replacement or have it repaired.

·
Registered
903 Posts
What would you do? Hold out for the OEM one or buy an aftermarket kit?

Neither. I'd buy quality track bodywork & trim out the holes for lights. I have high faith in Sharkskinz from past experience. Fit is perfect, when well painted looks much better than OEM, comes off for maintenance in a fraction of the time of OEM. Finally is a hell of a lot tougher than ABS plastic fairings & repairs much better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update this...I returned the garbage eBay fairing and am waiting on a ship date for the OEM one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts